panasonic tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having a problem with my tv turning its volume up on its own to full blast , must say its doing my head in , has anyone any advice to fix this problem.
thanks(y)

Sponsored Links
is your remote control volume up button stuck? isolate problem first by taking away the RC to another room and see if it still goes up.

cheers mike
the button isn't stuck or button on tv itself , while tv volume is rising on its own the remote does not work at all , think its deffinetly the tv itself .

Worth trying new batteries in the remote, updating for new channels and software update if that is an option in the menu`s.

Sponsored Links
TBH I've had to tv for few years , what would people think of my solution . the way I'm thinking now is the tv is fooked and before dumping the thing i thought about trying to open the back panel of the 50 inch tv and try and disconnect the wire to the volume buttons on the tv just incase the switch is damaged in some way. do you think this is to far fetch ( desperate ) ,or do you think this could be a possibility ??

Well if it`s old and your desperate try spraying a Contact cleaner from somewhere like Maplins around the button on the tv or as a last resort good old WD40, sorted out an old remote for me once. Would turn the tv off and leave off for awhile mind you.

as you may guess i know nothin about tv repairs , but in my mind maybe complete madness, there is a problem with the volume switch so if i set the tv to an acceptable volume first then disconnect the wiring from the switch itself so eliminating the problem ( maybe a short ) , last chance before buying another one i suppose at least ill have a tv for a couple of days or it may work:LOL:.

Any other remotes in the room? I like your thinking about no other button working while the volume is self-increasing, almost as if it's locked out from doing anything else. Perhaps there is a deaf ant in the system.

It isn`t somebody winding you up is it? I have Peel remote on my smart phone which can control my tv.

It isn`t somebody winding you up is it? I have Peel remote on my smart phone which can control my tv.

na definitely not . anyway I've just done what i suggested and the volume button don't work ( as expected ) but set to a respectable level in first place , so far its working ( so far ) only time will tell i suppose

Give us more clues, how does the volume start going up?
a)does it start ramping up immediately you switch on and reaches full blast?
b) what happens when you press volume low button?
c) does it start going down then?
d) do you see the on screen volume bar going up or down?

As for getting rid of the TV, I suggest if you really love this TV, you could extend its life by using an external audio amplifier with its own sound control and use audio out from the back of the tv to your audio amp, and disconnect internal speaker ( you could use Mute button) or chop speaker wires off.

Other than this have a go at the volume control buttons, it may be physically not pushed in but contacts may have bridged up through some means, like corrosion, moisture or liquid spillage, plug your jack socket into headphone socket at the back of your TV and run it through an external amp. or use audio line out socket and use an external amp.

alternatively fit a 5watt volume control pot on the side, if the sound is stereo you will need two gang pot and approximately 1K ohm log pot will do the job, cut speaker wires and wire them to the two end pins of the pot, (pot will have 3 pins) and then run your speaker wires one to the middle pin and one to one of the other two, turn the pot up to set maximum volume.

alternative thinking
use a different audio output and external speakers ??

also have you got another box in the system with its own control off the volume that will effect the volume like a freeveiw recorder box ??

TBH I've had to tv for few years , what would people think of my solution . the way I'm thinking now is the tv is fooked and before dumping the thing i thought about trying to open the back panel of the 50 inch tv and try and disconnect the wire to the volume buttons on the tv just incase the switch is damaged in some way. do you think this is to far fetch ( desperate ) ,or do you think this could be a possibility ??
I've had a case where the volume button was "leaky" and caused this symptom. So it IS worth disconnecting it as a test. However, the fault might be in, or around, the volume control I.C. and that's trickier.

BTW with any TV fault it's worth searching for the model number and a brief description of the symptom. Sometimes this will provide a link to a report and cure from another owner of that model. In fact you OUGHT to state the make & model number wherever you ask the question.

tried that already , cheers thou
ALWAYS state what you have tried already, in your initial post. Avoid wasting people's time.

have you tried (as a last resort before abandoning it on your front garden in case it may be useful to someone) thumping it hard several times, usually works 5 out of 10 times, and I mean thumping it real hard!:LOL: you have nothing to lose, but wear some boxing gloves first please!

One day long ago, a police car stops me and cop comes out and says "You know why I have pulled you over" I said no idea officer, he replied "one of my rear side light is not working," I got out and walked to the rear of my car and gave the light a big thump, and it started to work, I then said to the officer "Which one Sir" he came over and said your off side light, and I replied but it is working now for some reason,and the officer asked me a few more questions like is it my car, am I insured, yes yes yes I said, off you go then he said!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back