Panic Alarm Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Top Site....the guy I work with isn't the most helpful and expects me to know everything, good to get some input from other electricians.

One problem I'm abit unsure of is wiring up panic alarms for a number of checkouts/tills. In this retail place there are around 10 tills but only one panic alarm at the main till which is connected to the monitered alarm system. Can I add panic alarms to each till by simply daisy chaining all the buttons to one another? or does each panic button use its own pair of wire?

Sponsored Links
If this is a monitored system with police response etc, you really shouldn't be touching with it.

I am able to disable the alarm via security there, so I wouldn't be altering it while the alarms active.

but part of the deal will be that it is maintained by a NACOSS approved firm or something, so as Steve says, only the firm with the contract should alter it. Otherwise the system may lose approval and the maintaining firm will charge heavily to remove your changes and re-install it. They will also keep a specification of the system and all changes made.

A false alarm may incur a charge and loss of police response, so it is a serious matter. the police don't like being dragged away from their tea and doughnuts to rush round with their sirens and guns if it's just due to a wiring fault.

If it is a home-made system installed by the owners grandson, with no monitoring or police response, then I suppose you can do what you like, but you will get the blame when it goes wrong.

Sponsored Links
dont touch it with a barge pole.
in short, you are not qualified, have no insurance, no idea (sorry but its true) and who wil be held liable? not me.

another thing is it even worth having it done?

my mate who works for an alarm co says often a new cashier will push it wondering what its for, and little kids do like wise.

if one is needed to be pressed enough commotion should be going on so the person who does have one can press it.

they are not toys

if your company is doing the work but the guy you work with is just not helpfull i.e. try`s to make you look stupid, then, the panic buttons would normally be wired in a closed circuit loop, pressing any button opens the loop, if the cable was cut this would open the loop etc. if your company is not doing the work i would go with all the above comments.

I would think it better to wire each PA on a seperate zone so the ARC / someone sat in the office / whoever monitors the system can quickly see where the problem may be occouring, and despatch people accordingly.

its not uncommon to have indication in an office and P.A. buttons wired to this, so in effect it is a standalone alarm (does not call the police)

only problem is, because its a commercail premises th OP would probably not be insured to install it.

One problem I'm abit unsure of is wiring up panic alarms for a number of checkouts/tills. In this retail place there are around 10 tills but only one panic alarm at the main till which is connected to the monitered alarm system. Can I add panic alarms to each till by simply daisy chaining all the buttons to one another? or does each panic button use its own pair of wire?

No, no, no, no, no... It's monitored. If you so much as touch those PA buttons you will invalidate the shops contract with their alarm company and more importantly their insurance. Sounds extreme but it's true. DO NOT TOUCH THEM. Tell the shop to phone their alarm company if they want more PAB's, if not they're stuck with one!!! ;) ;) ;)

thanks for your comments. I spoke to my boss, and he's alittle wary of the come back on us (with invalidating the insurance/false alarm etc) so I'm now going to install a stand alone system to all but the main till, with an alarm simply in the security office. I think theres 10 till areas, and 4 floor areas, so its going to have 4 zones.

thanks for your comments. I spoke to my boss, and he's alittle wary of the come back on us (with invalidating the insurance/false alarm etc) so I'm now going to install a stand alone system to all but the main till, with an alarm simply in the security office. I think theres 10 till areas, and 4 floor areas, so its going to have 4 zones.

just make sure they know which one to press when the armed robbery is taking place - bit like having two fire systems if you ask me - it`s still wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back