Part P farce...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C & G 236 1 & 2, 16th edition, 2391 come December (hopefully...!), 3 years experience, plus the expert advice of you lot, and I have to pay up 200 quid to the council if I want to change a bathroom light.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Roll on the general election

Sponsored Links
lets be honest your not going to get building control involved when changing a light, so a bit of an extreme example. if you rewire you house, then quite rightly you will pay a fee and get a certificate which will be invaluble when you sell your house and give the buyer confidence, in the same way a builder cant just slap on an extension to their house despite any qualifications and experience.

Im not in favour of the way part p has been implemented, but i wasnt particularly in favour of another topic ranting about it again! it has good aswell as bad, surely as an electrician you should see this!

I can see that it was probably implemented by well meaning people initially, but to me it just seems another way of fleecing Joe Public. I'm still notifying when I have to and adding it onto my charges, but after a while I'll have to bite the bullet and pay a scheme 400 odd pounds a year for the privelege of them doing it for me.

This might seem like an extreme example, but that's exactly what Bromley Council told me earlier today, hence the rant. Sorry for venting my spleen here but the missus is out! ;)

Sponsored Links
You may change a fitting in a bathroom as long as it doesn't require the addition of any fixed wireing, so a simple swap is not an issue (ideally though you should issue a minor works cert... but we know that in the real world certs get issued for light replacements pretty rarely...)

You be a good electrician. But learn to spell simple words it's wiring not wireing.

lookinn said:
You be a good electrician. But learn to spell simple words it's wiring not wireing.

Sorry, couldn't resist...

You've jumped onto a thread and just posted to criticise someone's spelling. So thought I'd return the favour by pointing out your grammer is carp ;)

wizbongre said:
lookinn said:

You've jumped onto a thread and just posted to criticise someone's spelling. So thought I'd return the favour by pointing out your grammer is carp ;)

Hoisted by one's own petard

crystal ball said:
wizbongre said:
lookinn said:

Hoisted by one's own petard
For those who were confused (like me ;) ) - http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/hoist by your own petard.html

Balders, you simply don't understand.

The inclusion of electrical installations into the Building Regulations is long overdue. It is now controlled, just as structure, fire safety, ventilation, hygiene, drainage, combustion appliances, conservation of fuel and power (to name but a few) are. This means that the work must be carried out to comply with certain minimum standards. (How do you think builders feel, having to cope with inspections on evey aspect of every job?)

Sparkies have been crying out for this for decades.

So now it's here, you whinge? Just because somebody wants to make sure you're not just another cowboy? You've had around four years' notice to get to grips with all this (the legislation's been in force for almost two years!). The only reason I can see that you're complaining is because you don't get it.

And anyway, let's face it, your argument is probably specious because you'll go ahead and do the work regardless.

By the way, an election will make no difference; the only lobby to revoke part P is a few disgruntled, under-achieving tradesmen from a single trade. How much notice would you take?

Grow up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back