Part P renewal

ban-all-sheds said:
Bazdaa said:
The question was, how can I do my own electrics legally.
But that wasn't the question you asked - you asked "Does anyone know how often, how much, and what you need to do if you need to, for renewing your Part P qualification. "

Bazdaa said:
[Exactly in one. I thought Part P was some type of domestic certification!

However it would have been good, for people to give the advice. Rather than thinking that I was looking to pull a fast one!

The problem was that you came her with that deeply flawed understanding of "Part P", and then when told that's not what it is, you argued. Given that attitude, and the fact that your question was so odd, I guess people started to wonder what you were up to..

Anyway - do you now know what Part P is, and do you now understand the process of registering with a self-certification scheme organiser, and the prerequisites and costs of that? Do you like what you've found? Do you still have questions?

FYI - this is my most recent post on the legal situation regarding DIY work:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=234869#234869[/QUOTE]

Yes thanks, I managed to find out all the info in the end. I actually think I'm going to go for it , as I do enjoy. The only thing at the moment, that I am not sure about is the annual fee that needs to be paid to the SCSO.

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
Initial fees.

Annual renewal fees.

Several £'00s of test equipment.

Showing that you know how to use said equipment as part of your assessment.

Public Liability Insurance.

ban-all-sheds said:
Initial fees.

Annual renewal fees.

Several £'00s of test equipment.

Showing that you know how to use said equipment as part of your assessment.

Public Liability Insurance.

I have given myself a rough estimate of 2K for ALL expenses. Having sat on an electrical installation course (but not completed) a few years back, prior to moving into chosen field. I am now trying to work out what only being Part P certified wont let me do (if that makes sense)?

I dont want to be a full time sparky (at this point). But what do they teach in 2 years in college that I wont be able to do as Part P certified. Somethings missing!

P.S. Lets not go back in time, this post is like the English language!

Bazdaa

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
Bazdaa said:
Did your mum drop you on your head when you was a baby?

I think you'll find that should be, "... when you were a baby..." ;)

Oh how long did it take you to work that one out.Clutching at straws are we. Sorry YOU.

I did spot it, but thought let me see if he or she rises to it.

P.S. I'm not on this forum for this, and would say lets forget about today and move on. Either way I dont mind.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
...I asked how do you get a Part P qualification.
Er, to be pedantic, you didn't - you asked about renewals. This is what set off the alarm bells, so don't complain that they're now too loud for your comfort.

Bazdaa said:
For the record, I plan my work, then run it by someone, then do it. I do not take shortcuts, like trying to install a TV in the loft and feed it off the light or shower circuit (I think thats the guy you need to be concerned with). If I wanted to do this, then there would not be an option (for me) but to extend the ring.
This is completely laudable - on the basis of this I would give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're careful and responsible.

Bazdaa said:
2 years ago, I was allowed to wire my own home up. Now I cannot, (accoring to the goverment). The problem I have with this, to keep it short is rogue traders (and dont bother jumping on that either).
I tend to avoid jumping on rogue traders - they generally don't like it, but the ones that do insist that I take them for a nice meal afterwards.

However, you could expand your wisdom by bearing in mind that your home will one day, inevitably, be someone's else's home. The recent change in the law is intended to increase the safety of those unwitting users of your handiwork.

Bazdaa said:
I asked a basic question, but yet you want to challenge me about my status. If your that bothered, then you will see my current status, from my other post.
I have no intention of going scanning other topics to find out what you could simply state here.

Bazdaa said:
Now that I have justified myself to you. I guess I will just get the answer from someone else, if you dont want to answer it.
I guess you will, and that is your prerogative, but if you want the answer here then I suggest that you consider the reason that many of us want confidence that you are indeed responsible. To assume that you're responsible, when the initial indication was to the contrary, would be reckless on our part.

Bazdaa said:
P.S. I have previously completed a plastering course at the builder training centre. Howeer I'm not out there plastering. I use it for doing small jobs at home, and call someone in for the bigger jobs.
Plastering has no associated safety aspects that I'm aware of, and certainly is not notifiable work under the current Building Regs.

Softus said:
Bazdaa said:
...I asked how do you get a Part P qualification.
Er, to be pedantic, you didn't - you asked about renewals. This is what set off the alarm bells, so don't complain that they're now too loud for your comfort.

Bazdaa said:
For the record, I plan my work, then run it by someone, then do it. I do not take shortcuts, like trying to install a TV in the loft and feed it off the light or shower circuit (I think thats the guy you need to be concerned with). If I wanted to do this, then there would not be an option (for me) but to extend the ring.
This is completely laudable - on the basis of this I would give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're careful and responsible.

Bazdaa said:
2 years ago, I was allowed to wire my own home up. Now I cannot, (accoring to the goverment). The problem I have with this, to keep it short is rogue traders (and dont bother jumping on that either).
I tend to avoid jumping on rogue traders - they generally don't like it, but the ones that do insist that I take them for a nice meal afterwards.

However, you could expand your wisdom by bearing in mind that your home will one day, inevitably, be someone's else's home. The recent change in the law is intended to increase the safety of those unwitting users of your handiwork.

Bazdaa said:
I asked a basic question, but yet you want to challenge me about my status. If your that bothered, then you will see my current status, from my other post.
I have no intention of going scanning other topics to find out what you could simply state here.

Bazdaa said:
Now that I have justified myself to you. I guess I will just get the answer from someone else, if you dont want to answer it.
I guess you will, and that is your prerogative, but if you want the answer here then I suggest that you consider the reason that many of us want confidence that you are indeed responsible. To assume that you're responsible, when the initial indication was to the contrary, would be reckless on our part.

Bazdaa said:
P.S. I have previously completed a plastering course at the builder training centre. Howeer I'm not out there plastering. I use it for doing small jobs at home, and call someone in for the bigger jobs.
Plastering has no associated safety aspects that I'm aware of, and certainly is not notifiable work under the current Building Regs.

I tell you what, grow up or better still get a life, if this is your form of enjoyment.

P.S. I will now only respond if someone has anything relevant to say.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
I tell you what, grow up or better still get a life, if this is your form of enjoyment.
I bow to what is clearly a vastly superior sense of maturity.

Bazdaa said:
P.S. I will now only respond if someone has anything relevant to say.
You have ideas above your station - I didn't, and don't, invite you to respond. Please feel free to do what you think is right.

Into the lion's den. I'm rebuilding my hut and started 6 years ago. I learned what I could about electrics by reading and through sites/forums. I find the subject fascinating. When part P came along it seemed proper and sensible to get some qualification or at least check on my understanding so I spent 2000 pounds on a 5 day course and testing equipment. I can't fault the teaching on the course, although I wanted more and it was basically designed to support kitchen fitters. I never expected it to make me a proper electrician, but I was told when I paid that it would allow me to carry out the rewire and self certify legally and without problem. This is as we now know not quite the whole truth. Maybe there was no dishonesty, but phrases like,"If you can follow a knitting pattern you can rewire a house" (dangerously untrue) were thrown about. I can well understand the confusion of people like Bazdaa; some of the replies given by the training companies to queries do lead one astray. No wonder there is misunderstanding on the forum, but after lurking for a while, I've a pretty good idea who I trust to give good straight advice.
V

viewer said:
Into the lion's den. I'm rebuilding my hut and started 6 years ago. I learned what I could about electrics by reading and through sites/forums. I find the subject fascinating. When part P came along it seemed proper and sensible to get some qualification or at least check on my understanding so I spent 2000 pounds on a 5 day course and testing equipment. I can't fault the teaching on the course, although I wanted more and it was basically designed to support kitchen fitters. I never expected it to make me a proper electrician, but I was told when I paid that it would allow me to carry out the rewire and self certify legally and without problem. This is as we now know not quite the whole truth. Maybe there was no dishonesty, but phrases like,"If you can follow a knitting pattern you can rewire a house" (dangerously untrue) were thrown about. I can well understand the confusion of people like Bazdaa; some of the replies given by the training companies to queries do lead one astray. No wonder there is misunderstanding on the forum, but after lurking for a while, I've a pretty good idea who I trust to give good straight advice.
V

This is exactly the situation that I am in (word for word), and looks like I am about to go do the same road as you! I am exactly at the 2K stage, of your story.

Is this not the whole truth then? Will I not be able to cert my own testings and installations?

Have to agree, have seen some excellent postings here, from people who know what they are talking about. I can also appreciate, when they say if you can't follow what I am describing here, then keep away.

Bazdaa

Bazdaa said:
Is this not the whole truth then? Will I not be able to cert my own testings and installations?
If your £2K is going to be enough to pay for:

1) The necessary qualifications

2) The application costs to join a scheme

3) The necessary publications and test equipment

4) The necessary insurance

then yes.

If not, then no. It doesn't matter what qualifications you have, or how much experience you have, if you don't also join NAPIT/ECA/NICEIC/BSI/ELECSA then you will not be able to self-certify.

ban-all-sheds said:
Bazdaa said:
If your £2K is going to be enough to pay for:

1) The necessary qualifications

2) The application costs to join a scheme

3) The necessary publications and test equipment

4) The necessary insurance

then yes.

If not, then no. It doesn't matter what qualifications you have, or how much experience you have, if you don't also join NAPIT/ECA/NICEIC/BSI/ELECSA then you will not be able to self-certify.

Yes the person did say that I would also need to join niceic. I bet that is where the 2 years studying or C&G kicks in. Thats what I'm trying to reseach at the moment.

Bazdaa

So, Bazdaa,
1) choose the course,
2) before enlisting, ask the provider if passing it will satisfy all or only part of the entry requirements of NICEIC (or whichever organisation you prefer),
3) ask the NICEIC (or equiv.) the "reverse" question.
Then you will be in a position to decide?

Chris.J said:
So, Bazdaa,
1) choose the course,
2) before enlisting, ask the provider if passing it will satisfy all or only part of the entry requirements of NICEIC (or whichever organisation you prefer),
3) ask the NICEIC (or equiv.) the "reverse" question.
Then you will be in a position to decide?

You must be sitting behind me!

Right done some more digging, and have found out the following.

1) Doing Part P at a school, will not allow me to certify own work. However it will make me a competent person. As I will need to be registered with one of the above associations. Cost £1000

2) Only doing the Domestic installers course (Part P) at NICEIC will still not allow me to certify my own work. As I will still need to pay the association fee. Cost for course & reg £1200

3) Only doing the above 2 courses, will not allow me to certify certify installations that I did not do. As well as not being able to supply a PIR (Period Inspection Report) which is what I will need to certify electrical safety in rented accomadation. Cost £200

4)Contacting building control, and let them certify work. This would be charged depending on the size of the job. Cost £250 fee, if job estimation is £3K.

I have not quoted for equipment, but have been advised that it would be around £500. However I would estimate £1000 as I always go for the extras!.

Considering that I was content with only certify my own work, and this is not easily achieved, although straightforward. It is and will be costly, if you are not in the trade.

I think in my situtaion, I think it would be better for me to do the work and get building control in to certify the work, for a total fee of £250. However I think I might do a 5 day course, just to backup what I already know (or think I know).

P.S. Considering that the NICEIC ect engineers should be able to do the job (and have proved themselves, not to say there are no cowboys in the trade). Part P is not a bad thing, as you should have seen the state of the wiring before I moved, compared to now.

As long as you are allowed to add a spur, or extend a ring (need to double check this) and the local councils behave themselves! Then all should be OK.

(This thread reminds me of snatch, when they were trying to buy a caravan).

Bazdaa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back