Part P - What happens when I notify?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on going down the DIY route with regard to Part P.

I would like to install some garden lighting, which I've done in the past but not since 2005. I was wondering, if I notify Building Control of my plan, what usually happens and what inspections do they normally carry out.

If anyone has done something similar themselves, could they share their experiences with me please as I'm a little unsure what to expect.

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Although you pay your part P application fee, you will still be expected to provide evidence that the installation was done by a competent person to BS 7671.

Otherwise the council will normally charge you more fees to inspect any first fix before covering up (eg buried cables) and a second test fee

Check your local councils fee scales

Thanks for the reply. Have checked the council, and they do quote a (higher) rate for the non-competant person electric installation package. Which I assume means someone will check the compliance with etc. for me.

My only concern now is that I was planning to use existing ducts that run under my patio, but these are already covered up.
I know from previous digging prior to the installation of the patio that these have the warning label over them, but obviously its going to be very difficult to prove this to any inspectors.
I don't suppose anyone can suggest a way around this can they?

Thanks
Rich

Sponsored Links
Give your building control dept a call. In a case like that, they may be prepared to take your word for it - and if they won't then you're no worse off other than the price of the call and a few minutes of your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back