Partner 471 sp tucumseh engine no starting when warm lawnmower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

Apart my CRV headache with vibrations got friend coming on Friday evening for a beer and he took with him a non runner Partner 471 lawnmower. I cleaned up carburettor and bum started at first shot. Got him to cut my grass :) and engine worked very well. he then stopped to removed grass box and here you got. No way to start again. Told him to leave it with me and thought to clean carburettor again as at first time we did not clean up gas tank and thought some rubbish could be in. Removed carb again but no dirt and no blockage. Started machine again and bum at first shot. Left machine running for good 10 minute stopped and nothing no way to re start. Put it in the shed and tried to start today. bam at third shot started. left running for few minute stopped and again not starting anymore. This goes beyond my knowledge. Any idea?

Sponsored Links
Does this one have the primer bulb on the side of the engine?
If it has, give it one push, even if the engine is hot - and try again to start.
John :)

Does this one have the primer bulb on the side of the engine?
If it has, give it one push, even if the engine is hot - and try again to start.

Do you mean the push on the carb.
upload_2022-5-15_17-42-15.png

Nothing with one push on the primer but but with 5 push and 4 or 5 pull the engine start again.

What's the issue there?

Sponsored Links
Mine takes 2 rounds (3 on a bad day) of 5-7 pushes on the primer thing to start... its a pain in the ar5e.

Before I changed the gasket it refused to start. I bought some gasket paper, £1 a sheet, traced the old one, doubled it up and at least it starts now... why I don't know.

Nothing with one push on the primer but but with 5 push and 4 or 5 pull the engine start again.

What's the issue there?
Yep, that’s the thing....it causes a squirt of fuel to be shot into the inlet port.
Worth checking the gaskets as there could be air being ingested....thanks Mr Chibs!
The fault is usually due to the fuel level being a little low in the float bowl, but it isn’t adjustable :(

Yep, that’s the thing....it causes a squirt of fuel to be shot into the inlet port.
Worth checking the gaskets as there could be air being ingested....thanks Mr Chibs!
The fault is usually due to the fuel level being a little low in the float bowl, but it isn’t adjustable :(

So ideally would be to replace the 2 carburetor gasket and primer bulb correct?

For sure, it would do no harm!
I’m assuming you are completely happy with your carb clean.

I cleaned it up twice. I guess is clean :D

Will get mate to order primer and will make few gasket from sheet

Will let you know if improves.

What thickness to use for the carburettor gasket?
Primer bulb with or or No Hole. Most after marked have with no Hole and OEM has the hole but does not state on which carburettor model goes. The primer bulb fitted has no hole but no sure if they fitted wrong one in the past ;)

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to update you guys. Mate ordered the primer bulb and I replaced it. Not even replaced the gasket as I wanted to have a gradually go without taking carb apart again. Got him to cut grass once again and got him to stop and start mower several time while hot. Seem working fine. The old primer when removed seemed to be like new but maybe these Chinese plastic had some invisible crack somewhere.

Thanks again for your expertise. I got his mower back with the expense of £3 :)

Sponsored Links
Back