Parts and labour costs

C

Cmj01

Hi all, firstly I hope this is being posted in the correct forum? i'm really hoping to get some valuable advice from you knowledgeable folk. I have a 1 bedroom open plan house, upstairs bedroom and bathroom and downstairs living room and kitchen. I have had a quote from a friend of a friend to fit a new combi boiler etc. I have had the old system removed, along with the old hot water tank and the airing cupboard, and all the old pipe work. There are only 4 radiators in my house which I have had fitted onto the walls but not yet plumbed in. I have Been quoted £600 pounds to do the work plus obviously the cost of the boiler and the necessary extras to go with it. Somewhere in the region of £1700 all in which to me seems rather a lot considering all he has to do is put in the new boiler and connect it up to the rads. I have left the boiler and other parts to be purchased to him and he has gone for a boiler which is a main 24, whatever that is. I thank you in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Are you a registered Gas Fitter and Electrican ??????

You are paying for a qualified person to install your heating, plus I should think you would want a Garantee to go with it .

Can you give me your friend of a friend details as I would like to use him if he only charges £600.00 for all that work.

Most boiler fitters charge more just to install the boiler never mind piping up 4 radiators too.

Pete

Hi all, firstly I hope this is being posted in the correct forum? i'm really hoping to get some valuable advice from you knowledgeable folk. I have a 1 bedroom open plan house, upstairs bedroom and bathroom and downstairs living room and kitchen. I have had a quote from a friend of a friend to fit a new combi boiler etc. I have had the old system removed, along with the old hot water tank and the airing cupboard, and all the old pipe work. There are only 4 radiators in my house which I have had fitted onto the walls but not yet plumbed in. I have Been quoted £600 pounds to do the work plus obviously the cost of the boiler and the necessary extras to go with it. Somewhere in the region of £1700 all in which to me seems rather a lot considering all he has to do is put in the new boiler and connect it up to the rads. I have left the boiler and other parts to be purchased to him and he has gone for a boiler which is a main 24, whatever that is. I thank you in advance for any replies.

What sort of a friend of a friend does he call himself....he should be doing for free :LOL:

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than working for friends of friends for nothing......certainly puts food on the table and enables me to keep up with my mortgage payments!

Reminds me I must pop in to Tesco and question their mark-up

its a bargain, bite his hand off...

or take two...twice that is what it would normally cost in London

Wow! There seems to be a lot of anger directed at my naieve post, I only wanted to know if it was good value for money as a friend of mine told me it was not. My mate had a new combi and 10 rads supplied and fitted for £2500, that is the reason I thought £1700 was pricey considering I only have 4 rads and they are already in, he doesn't have to supply them. Please excuse my ignorance of such matters, I am a systems analyst by trade so am totally in the dark with plumbing etc. could anyone tell me if the boiler, a main 24 is actually any good or should I cancel that and obtain one myself, once again, thank you.

OP- You are not in the dark, as you put it.

Your opening gambit was to ask advice (on a plumbing & heating forum) from 'knowledgeable folk'. You then proceed to ask nothing at all about the subject we specialize in, and only wish to know about money.

You can't be under the impression that would endear you to any trade.

Tibbot";p="3001957 said:
OP- You are not in the dark, as you put it.

Your opening gambit was to ask advice (on a plumbing & heating forum) from 'knowledgeable folk'. You then proceed to ask nothing at all about the subject we specialize in, and only wish to know about money.

You can't be under the impression that would endear you to any trade.

All I wanted to know was if it was value for money or not! Things being what they are every penny counts these days. I'm sorry I asked you miserable lot! Keep your bloody advice because your are not as knowledgeable as I assumed!

Where abouts do you live?

It seems to be a very cheap area.

The Main 24 is a very budget boiler, not bad really though. Probably costs about £550 with the flue.

If you have a proper job then I don't know why you don't want a good boiler like a Vaillant or Intergas for example.

Tony

I'm sorry I asked you miserable lot! Keep your bloody advice because your are not as knowledgeable as I assumed!

You seem to single me out. My post is the least abusive, just highlights your misplaced argument.

I don't know how knowledgeable you expect people to be when it comes to a question that contains nothing about the trade, and is only about prices for something they can't see from someone they don't know.

To put it your way, perhaps you could tell us exactly how much the final cost will be for everyone's system to be analysed.

I bought a house the other day, I thought the estate agents fees were scandalously high, as were the solicitors fees...but I got what I wanted and just paid...

why the hell don't we plumbers get the same type of respect and reward for our work which people benefit from day in day out..indeed working heating and readily available hot water makes our lives far more comfortable than the shed load of stuff people buy once!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back