Party wall question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're thinking of extending into our loft and would require new steel beams to support the roof and floor. However, we don't get on with our neighbours and have no doubt they will object in some way.

The neighbours have already extended into their loft prior to us moving into the home, and I can't find any evidence of a party wall agreement (I've checked the local planning portal and can't see anything listed. I've also checked all the searches we did prior to puchasing the property and nothing is listed there). Whether this has any influence on the outcome I am not sure.

Fortunately the loft space is huge, and I'm wondering if it is feasible to build a separate wall next to the party wall and use that for the steel beams. I'm guessing if we can, there is no need for a party wall agreement?

The neighbours have had their house on for sale for the past three years but sales keep falling through. We we're wishing they'd sell so we could speak to the new owners.

Sponsored Links
I think it was Woody who said that the PWA is only applicable/enforceable for the duration of the building work.

Once he is out of rehab or the youth offenders institute I'm sue he'll be along to help. :p

Your Lordship;

It's not a criminal offence not to apply the PWA and as Nose say's, it's not retrospective - ie once the job's done, it's done.

The worst they can do is try and apply for an injunction to hold up the work, but that costs.

If you did go down the PWA route, your costs will escalate as the neighbours will want their own (expensive) surveyor at your expense.

Just get on with it.

Sponsored Links
I can see how you wanted to clear things out. I'm just wondering if you have ever talked with the owner regarding your concern? Have you ever had a conversation to hear their side on why not cooperating? With this matter, maybe they're not aware or maybe just waiting for you to talk about this dilemma.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back