PAT - Rip Off

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg236.pdf

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg237.pdf[/QUOTE]

So, no tests, only visual, needed for Class II items in those environments (please note: same as the IEE guidance!).

What about all the Class I appliances you'll come across? What tests (as it says: combined inspection & testing) will you do on those? An earth bond continuity test with your multimeter? Unless it's a low resistance ohmmeter, it won't be up to the job!
A leakage test with your clamp meter? Again, not good enough if an insulation test should be performed.

Sponsored Links
Portable Appliance Testing comes from the requirement "As may be necessary to prevent danger, all systems
shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably
practicable, such danger" (EAWRegs which are statutory.)
The EAWR require persons to be competent - how you show competency is another matter. Qualifications are a good way.
Some insurers will demand PAT testing too from a fire point of view.
The danger can arise from a lot more than what a visual inspection will show up such as an element in a boiler going down, lost earth bonds, reverse polarity extension leads etc.
A PAT test only proves that the appliance is considered safe to remain in service at that moment in time. There is an onus on the individual user to ensure it is not visually damaged before use and if suspect, they take it out of service until remedied.
Even those two documents you refer to state that there is a requirement to carry out "combined inspection and testing" which you need the proper calibrated gear to do the testing part of it.
As said, a lot of proper PAT testers cost a fair amount of money and the better ones store the test results for download later which is a godsend!
I for one hate doing that job, 20 items or so and my brain starts going to sleep!

Both those documents were last re-printed in April 2004.

In light of BS7671:2008 I would recommend that you contact the HSE direct and ask for verification that these documents are still current today and if not can they supply you with the most recent updates.
What they say goes against the grain of todays way of thinking regarding PAT.

Sponsored Links
Conny makes a valid point about out of date thinking though, for example its generally accepted now that a portable appliance is something that has has a flex on it not only something with a plug, those HSE documents do make a passing reference to a ketle possibly being hard wired and needs testing but its primary definition still says something with a plug on it.

Conny makes a valid point about out of date thinking though, for example its generally accepted now that a portable appliance is something that has has a flex on it not only something with a plug, those HSE documents do make a passing reference to a ketle possibly being hard wired and needs testing but its primary definition still says something with a plug on it.

I think you need to read the Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment. :rolleyes:

PAT testing has nothing to do with BS7671:2008 though :confused:

Sorry, bad grammar on my part.
I wasn't trying to say it had anything to do with BS7671 but the changes in that do have far reaching effects that could affect other things. It is important that ANY documentation you use/refer to is fully up to date to avoid complications should anything go wrong.

BS7671:2008 is the Requirements for Electrical Installations, it does not cover portable appliance testing.

BS7671:2008 is the Requirements for Electrical Installations, it does not cover portable appliance testing.

No one has said that it does.
However, you will find that it is refered to many times in, and informs a fair bit of, the IEE CoP.
I think that is the general idea conny was getting at. :)

but mostly to comply with PAT requirements I just need good eyesight. :LOL:

PAT = Portable appliance TESTING

or

PALAV = Portable appliance looking at VISUALLY ..........and making a vague conception and charge small amounts of money which recks our industry because you are too tight or worried to get the necessary paperwork or equipment.

I love monday mornings

I have to agree with RF there are 5 tests minimum, invovled in this and if you test anything with a heater element IE a deep fryer how you going to allow for leakage cos it will come out as a fail if you don,t know how to allow for this, same with washing machines, dryers, etc also IR tests require 500v for most items but not all, then there is IEC leads, extention leads with neons, font lights coming of the brewery supplied transformers ,credit card readers, beer fridges with capacitor start compressors the list is endless. and remeber if you pass it your responsible and hand writing even 100 test with take a long time I sugest you get a copy of the IEE code of pratice for the in-service inspection and testing of eletrical equipment and the memorandum of guidance on the electricity at work regulations
Mac

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back