Pattern Imprinted or Block - Clay Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Ive had a bit of a mare with the guy who was due to do our new drive and I had to get rid of him after two days

Anyway he was going to do PIC for our new drive but now I have nobody to do the drive and now the weather is against us too - so Im thinking maybe get block now - ie tobermore blocks - but still not sure at the moment

Ive got a digger here and been getting rid of the old concrete drive that was here when we moved in over 10 years ago. There was a smaller thinner drive underneath this too so have got it all up now - this explains why our outside floor level was near or close to the DPC inside the house although we have never had any sort of damp issue inside the house

So anyway as I have a digger here Im going to basically lower what I can to make it better than it was before in terms of levels inside the house

I gather I need 150mm of sub base if driving on - especially with block

But my question really is to do with what Im digging into - its basically heavy clay and really soft and moveable and water doesnt drain anywhere - the digger is rutting into it and making a bit of a mess but we have backfilled with rubble

Ive also got some membrane coming to put on the clay to prevent the subbase disappearing when I do get that

Than plan at the moment is to probably subbase what I can and then wack it down it and then possibly wait for someone in the spring but not sure at the moment - its a mud bath outside

Does this sound reasonable??? I am a bit concerened with drainage but soakaways just will not work here

Thanks for any tips

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have planning permission. I'd find someone to do the imprinted concrete. Soooo much nicer than horrible block paving, which seems to come in awful colours and nearly always sinks and gets weeds.

Assuming you have planning permission. I'd find someone to do the imprinted concrete. Soooo much nicer than horrible block paving, which seems to come in awful colours and nearly always sinks and gets weeds.

You do get differences of opinion when it comes to pic - some say its looks really fake as and Ive even heared that it devalues the house! Im not sure on that but agree that it does look fake but in my opinion it looks nice too - minus the weeds which is a bonus

Sponsored Links
I think it depends on the finish. I had a semi gloss slate finish and it looked amazing. Even after 15+ years with various trailers, motorhomes and 4x4s parked on it, it still hasn't worn. But nowadays you need planning and drainage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back