PATTRESS IN LOFT

Mmm I sort of know what you mean.

In a domestic loft I don't think that's really likely to be an issue
In a village hall we stopped replacing damaged metal sockets like for like due to cost.
Opinions eh:mrgreen:

In a village hall I would have continued with the metal accessories for the sake of a few £
 
Interesting thread, I'd never really thought about using metal accessories.

To the op if its just an ariel booster or some other low powered item you can take a socket from the lights if thats easier.
 
Opinions eh:mrgreen:

In a village hall I would have continued with the metal accessories for the sake of a few £
There was absolutely no point, at the time a double white socket was £1 to 2 and a metal was circa £10 and they simply didn't last any longer.
It actually got to the point each socket was numbered with marker pen beside it and the phone call was a simple 'socket 5 broken' sort of thing and a brief description like 'dangerous. just cracked' etc, we held a key and left a stock on site. It tended to be a 2 minute drop-in on the way home, they were originally white sockets and eventually replaced with metal for the predicted longevity. I suspect if anything they became a target for abuse.
 
Interesting thread, I'd never really thought about using metal accessories.
I've used loads of them but the vast majority of my work is commercial.
To the op if its just an ariel booster or some other low powered item you can take a socket from the lights if thats easier.
(y)
Strangely I hadn't even considered that there was any other intention.
 
Plastic pattress is fine, the OP knows where it is, and it should be visible to anyone else up there
 
Thanks everyone - very interesting.
I'm sure the op can decide based on the info provided
It’s an old house with a ‘cold loft’.
And moisture from rooms below will permeate through ceilings.
That said; I wouldn’t really call it a damp environment.
I’ve got normal MK pendant lights and pattress switches.
My bathroom timer fan has a Fan Isolator in a pattress box
………and none of these things are IP55.
Nor have I ever accidentally damaged them.
So on balance; I’ll probably stick to an MK 13A double / pattress box that will fit nicely on woodwork.
Much appreciated.
Best D
 
I once working in a house that was consistently excessively hot and loads of insulation in the loft, so much so that the hot damp air on getting into the cold loft condensed to such a a degree that the insulation was permanently very damp , it was a nightmare. I advised ventilation in the loft to cure it.
 
I once working in a house that was consistently excessively hot and loads of insulation in the loft, so much so that the hot damp air on getting into the cold loft condensed to such a a degree that the insulation was permanently very damp , it was a nightmare. I advised ventilation in the loft to cure it.
My first house had no insulation, I added 100mm as was the recommendation at the time and tucked it very nicely up each end to the felt to reduce drafts...


Yeah
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top