Paying Electrician - Installments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a quote for a full rewire. I want to accept the quote. The electrician hasn't put down how he wants paying so I thought I'd suggest my own. Can you tell me if you think this is fair:

Advance payment equal to the cost of materials - ie £800
50% of balance immediately after first fix
Remaining 50% of balance after plasterer has been in and second fix is complete.

Should I ask the electrician to sign an agreement?

If the above is acceptable, should the electrician add the above terms to his quote?

Many thanks
George

Sponsored Links
Sounds fair. Remaining balance after second fix complete is OK but make sure that "completion" includes certification done and works notified to local authority (I assume he is a registered electrician).

Absolutely get an agreement signed detailing exactly what is to be done. It saves a lot of heartache later!!

Sounds fair. Remaining balance after second fix complete is OK but make sure that "completion" includes certification done and works notified to local authority (I assume he is a registered electrician).

Absolutely get an agreement signed detailing exactly what is to be done. It saves a lot of heartache later!!

Thank you - I will get it added. Yes, the electrician is NIC EIC Domestic Installer.

The electrician should be providing you with an agreement for when payment is due.

What you've stated is fair though. I'd never do a job for full payment on completion.

Sponsored Links
Don't let him push you into a ratio more heavily weighted towards the 1st fix payment - you do not want to end up in the situation where if it all starts to go wrong for any reason they guy can easily cut and run, or hold you to ransom over the certificate and notifications. Sadly these things do happen.

But if you've verified that he is really a NICEIC member, not simply falsely claiming that, that he's got "real" electrical qualifications and not just "domestic installation" ones, and you've got references from other customers (another sad fact is that it is quite easy to become a NICEIC DI without actually ever having done a rewire, or having much practical experience at all), you should be OK.

Don't let him push you into a ratio more heavily weighted towards the 1st fix payment - you do not want to end up in the situation where if it all starts to go wrong for any reason they guy can easily cut and run, or hold you to ransom over the certificate and notifications. Sadly these things do happen.

But if you've verified that he is really a NICEIC member, not simply falsely claiming that, that he's got "real" electrical qualifications and not just "domestic installation" ones, and you've got references from other customers (another sad fact is that it is quite easy to become a NICEIC DI without actually ever having done a rewire, or having much practical experience at all), you should be OK.

Ooh eck! How do I check out his qualification? His headed paper says NIC EIC Domestic Installation Approved Contractor. Recommendations - I have seen 12 online reviews of his work which is all very positive.

I've found the person located on NIC EIC website and it lists three things: Approved Contractor, Domestic Installer and PAT

I assume the 'Approved Contractor and Domestic Installer' covers the work of a residential rewire?

I've found the person located on NIC EIC website and it lists three things: Approved Contractor, Domestic Installer and PAT

I assume the 'Approved Contractor and Domestic Installer' covers the work of a residential rewire?
As far as NICEIC are concerned, the latter is all that's needed for the scope of domestic work, and it is the latter which can be got with shamefully inadequate true competence and experience.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me, but AFAIK the former, "Approved Contractor", is much less trivial than DI, and does require "proper" City & Guilds qualifications. And not something like this: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/domestic-electrical-installer-course-18-days.452411/

Personal recommendation/references are much better than websites - don't know which one you looked at, but I would advise being very wary of ones like ratedpeople, mybuilder, checkatrade - they are rotten with self-promotion and other bogus entries.

This may seem odd but being a member of an approved tradesman website often means they are useless, clearly has to me a scheme member to be able to self certify, but any other club to get him work normally means he is not much good.

It is always a chance and when I was employing tradesmen at work writing the contract was always the hard bit. I like I am sure many others hid behind BS7671 and contract always required it complied with BS 7671 unless written authority was given to depart from it. Also a general clause that Building regulations were to be complied with. But in industry we have an advantage, we only re-employ people who did a good job. Domestic likely you will not have another job. And again we knew what should be done in the first place.

When I wanted an electrician I asked the county council building inspector who he recommended. Just happened to meet him.

I didn't find him on a website. I had a referral and I then looked him up and read good things. His quote was well detailed and his terms were listed at the bottom but I omitted them. I think he will be fine.

As far as NICEIC are concerned, the latter is all that's needed for the scope of domestic work, and it is the latter which can be got with shamefully inadequate true competence and experience.
Well, half of your statement is correct. You can do the PAT course in a day, with literally no technical knowledge, which is why lots of big companies are sending people on them, so they don't have to pay a 3rd party. I assume you were actually referring to DI, not PAT :)

Yes - when I talked about two things, latter and former I was referring to "I assume the 'Approved Contractor and Domestic Installer' covers the work of a residential rewire?", not "Approved Contractor, Domestic Installer and PAT".

I apologise for writing something too complicated for you to understand.

Most decent companies don't ask for anything until completed, unless it's a job running into months. Perhaps that's just how it works around here. Someone asking for money up front is unusual and suspicious around here, lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back