Pea souper & ice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says, today we have woken up to a pea souper and a layer of ice. (Though the temperature has now risen to the positive side of the scale). Whats the weather like where you are?

Sponsored Links
0DABCC89-4AB0-41DF-847F-032CAF363E26.jpeg

Heavy frost earlier, up to plus 1 degree now though.

Bonfire nights in the eighties around here; on a still and cold night, combined with the fog, literally couldn't see your hand in front of your faceo_O

Sponsored Links
Pea Souper. Lol. I remember them from my childhood. A bit more than a touch of mist. They made you cough!
The Pea Soupers were prevalent in industrial areas and were smog, a mixture of smoke and fog.
The worst of these events lasted several days in London in December 1952.

Bonfire nights in the eighties around here; on a still and cold night, combined with the fog, literally couldn't see your hand in front of your faceo_O
I remember coming back from Blackpool one year after seeing the lights. Must have been 1990 or 1991.

The fog on the M55 was so thick, I was down to 5mph. I couldn't see beyond the end of the bonnet.

I was crapping myself in case we were rear-ended. This lasted all the way back to Manchester.

As the title says, today we have woken up to a pea souper and a layer of ice. (Though the temperature has now risen to the positive side of the scale). Whats the weather like where you are?

North West on the coast, I'll let you guess what the weather is like, it's the same most days.

Those are the ones I remember, and mostly because of the eerie sound, or lack of it.

No fog, no ice here - north / east Yorks border, despite it being predicted. Pea Soupers were what we got in the 1950/60's, a yellow fog which you could almost chew it was so thick and traffic would be almost at a standstill because no one could see where they were going. The police would be out at junctions, with paraffin burners, trying to lift the fog enough at a junction so drivers could see them. I remember one junction in the early 60's, where 4 PC were needed, leading drivers safely across a junction. Bus conductors would be out walking in front of buses, with a torch, leading the way for the driver. Drivers would fit yellow fog lights in their attempts to perce through the thick fog.

All a result of the massive amounts of coal being burned by industry and inefficient home fires.

Frost and Fog.

Need to check on my Avocado plant. Hopefully survived...

Sponsored Links
Back