Pendant Light > downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just wondering on how easy it would be to switch this pendant light to a recessed down light?

Thanks,

Matthew

Attachments

• FA3EFC64-5100-4C5A-A826-B559E61FD9B0.jpeg
    FA3EFC64-5100-4C5A-A826-B559E61FD9B0.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 03BD68CF-F2D5-4DF0-8CAC-BE13CBCEE790.jpeg
    03BD68CF-F2D5-4DF0-8CAC-BE13CBCEE790.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
Just wondering on how easy it would be to switch this pendant light to a recessed down light?
Probably not too difficult, but one recessed downlight (unless it's a very large one) is unlikely to, on its own, illuminate a room adequately (i.e. to a similar extent as the pendant light).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John,

Appreciate it. It’s actually in a place where we all nearly hit our head on it and shortening the pendant is unlikely to help.

Might attempt to change it

Thanks John, Appreciate it. It’s actually in a place where we all nearly hit our head on it and shortening the pendant is unlikely to help. Might attempt to change it
Fair enough - but, as I said, I'm pretty sure that you would find that a 'standard' (~50mm diameter) downlight would not be anything like comparable with the pendant in terms of how well it illuminated the room.

Does the room have any other lighting?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. It’s actually not in a room...better picture attached. It’s in a awkward place - we don’t really need a lot of lighting for. Suggestions? Still anti recessed down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 152
My suggestion would be an Integral led fitting.
They go as slim as 48 or 40mm depending on the rating.

Mathew,
As others have said, a downlight is likely to be terrible there - illuminating only a small circle of light on the floor, opening a can of worms when you try and cut a hole in the ceiling (which will be a nightmare to close later if you change your mind) and the cutting of the hole might be obstructed by a joist or the cables themselves.

I also suggest a "Ceiling flush light" as much much easier to fit than a downlight and more distributed light into your hall.

Lots of images here, and if you want to see/touch before buying I do know that Homebase have a few on show.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cei...2onbAhXIDsAKHU8LCr4Q_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=948

A simple a cheap solution would be one of these whose E27 bulb you can easily change to match how much light (and what colour) you want in your hall:
https://www.homebase.co.uk/eiger-40cm-glass-oyster-light_p386581

The rest are here:
https://www.homebase.co.uk/our-rang...ant-lights/ceiling-lights?sort=PriceAscending
SFK

Last edited:
Another vote for the ceiling flush light. Single downlight would be dreadful - there's a reason you normally see so many in even small rooms. Also agree there's likely a joist or some such above the current rose.

It would also be wise to find out why you have a single blue used as the switch live. It's likely just that's all they had on the van but I'd still want to confirm, and oversleeve brown once confirmed.

You two don't mean "flush" fitting as that would still require the hole in the ceiling.

Surface mounted but not deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back