pendant set from socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if ths is safe. I want to fit a pendant in a shed. to avoid all the hassle with breakers and wiring i wondered can you mount the pendant run 2mm flex down to a 10amp MK switch and down to a 3 amp plug. Will be earthed. Is this legal and would i have to get it inspectected by an electrictian. also the switch is single pole so can i use a ternimal block to join two neutrals

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Here's my semi-informed opinion.

Assuming that the socket you are talking about is already in the shed and the wiring supplying it is all correct then I would suggest the following…

Connect from the socket to a switched fused connection unit (FCU) using T&E of the same size that supplies the socket and fit a suitably rated fuse; install the FCU where you’d want the light switch to be. Then run T&E rated no lower than to the chosen fuse capacity to the pendant and use the FCU to switch the light.

I can’t give an answer regarding electrical inspection, it’ll depend if it falls under Part P of the build regs or not (most things seem to), and whether you really care.

Any qualified electricians are quite free to call me any rude names they want to if what I’ve written is complete rubbish.

Key to your question is whether or not the existing socket in the shed is safe. Can you confirm this - does it have RCD protection?

Officially, even if a standard plug is used, what you are proposing is fixed equipment and there fore covered by Part P. As it is in a shed it is notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that dippy. am i better off just keeping the clip-on light already there???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back