Periodic Electrical Check

DJM said:
JohnD said:
The earths are a bit of a tangle, get yourself one of these and tidy it up. Easy peasy.]
Hidden behind the rats nest of tails ther is a small one of those, but could definitely be tidied. Can I do that myself os is that notifiable?
You can do it yourself, it is not notifiable

DJM said:
JohnD said:
The "in" and the "out" cable of your Utility Block Switchfuse look bigger than I can see anywhere else. Where does the supply come from?
I am obviously being thick, but can you clarify? Both armoured cables run to the utility room. The tails go back to the same source as all the other three CUs on that wall.
I see the tails now. As you have two SWAs that is unusual unless there are two submains to different CUs in different outbuildings.

Sponsored Links
As you have two SWAs that is unusual unless there are two submains to different CUs in different outbuildings.
That might be the case. The utility room is actually a largish brick outbuilding that was originally an outhouse and storage area when the houses were built. The previous owners were scandanavian and had it converted to a sauna and utility room, and then connected to the house with a conservatory. Sounds very grand, but is frankly pants. But the point is there are two separate entrances to the two 'rooms' and IIRC correctly separate main power units. Will check when I get home.

Also, those tails into that board... do they go into it via separate holes, it certainly looks like they do?, is there a thin slot cut between the holes?
checked some other pics and they are in separate holes and no slot. Showing my ignorence, why should they go through the same slot?

Adam151 wrote
"If looking on the NIC site, make sure you look for an approved contractor as opposed to a domestic installer (AC are approved by the NIC to do PIR work under the NIC name, DI arn't and a PIR by one would be out the scope of their NIC registration), maybe try and find one that lists testing as amongst their specilalities, especially if they also do commericial testing (there are some firms who just do testing and nothing else - this can cut down on conflicts of interest, etc...)"

(sorry can't get the hang of those quote things)

Adam - just wanted to correct you on this. NIC Domestic Installers CAN issues PIR's but just not on NIC forms. If the PIR is for 'personal' use ie not mortgage/insurance then this fine. In fact some of the AC PIR's I;ve seen are terrible! (eg No Zs readings marked as 'limitations'. In fact, no earth to property!)

You can also use www.competentperson.co.uk to find all registered sparks not just NIC

SB

Recently had my visit/chat by the NAPIT inspector, what i didn't realise is that to do a PIR you dont need to be registered with any registering body because you aren't actually carry out any work all you need to be is competent in testing and inspecting which normally is 2391 or 2400.

Like i say that was news to me!

Sponsored Links
The requirement for inspections (as in all things electrical) is to be competent, as defined in the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989. There are many, perfectly competent electricians registered as Domestic Installers, as well as many Approved Contractors who are not competent to inspect and test.

Part P is part of the building regulations and concerns the effect of any actual work done. An inspection and test does not alter the installation and therefore requires no 'permission'... it does, however, require far more knowledge and experience than the majority of electricians possess. And I would add that the C & G 2391 qualification should be considered as fulfilling only a part of the definition of competence - a good 50% of candidates are winging it from scratch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back