Periodic Inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Aunty had a periodic Inspection done the other day, but was not happy with the service and advice she was given after they had finished. So phoned me to see if I could have a look. I havent passed my 2391 yet, got practical exam next week and theory in June, so I could only advise her on what I found.

So, I got there this morning and saw the sheet they had left, straight away noticed the IR was low, but still within the value stated in 7671. Lowest reading being on the lighting circuit 2.45 Mohm, 7671 value being 0.5 Mohm, ive been taught 2 Mohm or less is cause for concern.

Next was a comment wrote funnily enough in the comments box, stating a open circuit found on the ring with a value of 34.7 ohm.

Everything else on sheet seemed ok. So did a visual inspection around the place and noticed no seal on the Main suppliers fuse, actually fuse casing cracked as the seal had been ripped off.

Also noticed none of the ceiling roses had been disturbed for some time as the paint had not been cracked around the rose up stairs and down? Is there another way of checking continuity on lighting circuits without taking off the ceiling rose cover? :eek:

She only wanted me to check out the faults the company had listed. So onto the ring circuit i went. Did my values for r1, r2 & rn, worked out my expected for r1 + rn and r1 + r2, crossed the wires and went round the sockets up and down, as all on same 3036. All sockets except 2 complied with my expected results, the 2 that didnt are on spurs, so ok. Im wondering the fault they said of a high reading on one socket was either a spur or they hadnt nulled out their leads? what ya think? Other thing the tester they used is the same as mine, Alphatek Metrel 61557, has a habit of gettin weird readings as it warms up, needs nulling every few minutes for the first 10 minutes.

So I found the ring complied to 7671 when adding on Ze, and adding rule of thumb.

Then went onto a IR test on the lighting circuits. Disc all lamps, and carried out the test. They got 2.45 and 2.64 Mohms I got 710 Mohms and 694 Mohms. Could this be that they didnt take the lamps out, as my Aunty doesnt recall seeing them take them out?

They did say to her she needs an urgent rewire, think there after a bit of money!

One thing I did advise of is a new modern style consumer, as I found the following:

Image028.jpg

Shower circuit wired directly into suppliers side of switch? surely this is not normal practice? or is it? :confused:

And also a radial socket circuit connected into the ring fuse. defo needs a new consumer me thinks!

Regards,

Gaz

Sponsored Links
Jesus Isolate that shower immediately theres no protection at all apart from the main incommer fuse :!: . It should have been condemmed for that reason alone. EDIT by Isolation I mean from the isolator in the bathroom just pull the cord dont go at it with a screwdriver as its still live even if the CU switch is off (but you should know this being a 2391 student.
Call in a a proper spark to sort out and then think about how your going to sue the firm who carried out the PIR

RobFurn said:
Jesus Isolate that shower immediately theres no protection at all apart from the main incommer fuse :!: .
are you sure there is an enclosure above that may (or may not) house an MCB for the shower? i think he was questioning the practice of wiring into the switches terminals rather than using henly blocks on the tails?

Oh Aye your right didnt see that first time round :oops: Think British Rallying can tell us about that

Sponsored Links
Still a pigs ear, but I'll think you'll find that 6mm² goes off to the switch fuse above, so hopefully there is some overcurrent protection.But this leaves that switchfuse live when the main switch is turned off!!!

Why is that green/yellow tape on the phase conductors?

i think he was questioning the practice of wiring into the switches terminals rather than using henly blocks on the tails?

I have seen it done where the feed goes to an adjacent enclosure with RCCBO. I normally change it to split tails from a Henly block.

In the picture the shower feed disappears into the wall so there is no obvious means of isloation or circuit protection.

Ahh good spotting!! yes theres a wylex wirable fuse for the shower, think it was 40 amp, if memory serves correct.

I thought common practise was if you run out of room in the current consumer, to feed a new consumer from a existing breaker/fuse carrier (with a suitable breaker/fuse) moving the original circuit to the new consumer and adding the new circuit in the new consumer? hopefully that makes sense, rather than running a new cable from the main switch :eek:

Why is that green/yellow tape on the phase conductors?

Labelling what the circuit is!! no labels in consumer saying what the circuit is!! hmmmmm did wonder myself, not a very good PIR.

They was no recomendations on the PIR such as bonding etc that needs to be improved, this is the first PIR since they moved in prob 28 years ago, so not up to 7671: 2004.

Was concerned with how they got various readings, such as Cont. of protective conductors and main and supplimentary bonding, no evidence that they have done that.

Gareth

The shower supply needs sorting out ASAP.

It is currently wired with the live directly into the incommer side of the main switch, yet the neutral is into the neutral bar of the wylex CU on the OUTGOING side of the main switch.

Switching off the main switch of the bottom CU will give the apperance that the shower has been isolated, when in reality it will still be live, and will also, through neutral feedback bring every neutral in the installation live aswell, and in turn all the lives too through live > neutral > live feedback

Suprised no one else spotted this

Im more concerned with the fact the shower will appear dead, and the whole installation will receive neutral feedback.

Very dangerous.

Hi Gaz

Looks like your Aunt got ripped off baby. I'm thinking of doing the 2391 also. Is it hard? Is it in two parts?

I work in Mcdonalds at the moment and i'm just about sick of flipping burgers. All i do is sit in the drive through window and feed fat Driving Instructors,,, oh and once a helicopter pilot.

I think I would find the 2391 quite easy. I know this because a while ago I took the 2377 Pat testing at a local college and I flew through the exam,,
the training was hard but i still got through.

All the best

Andy

Andy Crisbaenpeef said:
I think I would find the 2391 quite easy. I know this because a while ago I took the 2377 Pat testing at a local college and I flew through the exam

Bit of a difference between the two I'd say :rolleyes:

Andy Crisbaenpeef said:
All i do is sit in the drive through window and feed fat Driving Instructors,,, oh and once a helicopter pilot.
-was he in his helicopter?

british rallying,

what ive come to realise is that lots of companies are doing PIR's and not giving a t*ss about what they put in them. i could name a few companies on here what people would recognise, the worst thing is they are NICEIC registered.

i have seen examples of very poor PIR's where many many faults have been left out, not noted, missed. I really wonder how the 'inspector' sleeps at night.

i wouldnt read too much into their test results to be honest as they are probably made up.

it seems that the PIR's done by some sparks can no longer be relied upon to give an accurate assesment of an installation and are just a way of making a quick buck out of someone who needs it done for insurance purposes or to add weight to a the rewire argument.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back