Permitted development across the property boundary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can an extension be built under PD if part of it will cross a boundary?

Specifically an extension that will include a new party wall astride the boundary.

I've always understood that PD rights can only apply to work wholly within the property boundary, as opposed to formal permission which can be granted for works on other's land. I can't seem to find any reference one way or the other, so wondered if its mentioned in the original or one of the earlier PD statutes or case law?

Sponsored Links
I think you are right. As far as I know it isn't specifically mentioned, but the act says 'within' the curtilage of a dwellinghouse, so crossing the boundary couldn't be described as within. Having said that the other side also have PD rights. Another way of looking at it is the two sides build half a party wall each, which just happens to be joined together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back