Permitted Development on the back of existing extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, hoping you can help.

I am just about to put in a permitted development request with the local council. I'm also going to do a pre planning consultation as well.

I emailed the council about PD about a month ago - the response i got was that i've already used up my PD rights. This was a response they gave without asking any questions about measurements etc and not even knowing the address, and from what I've read it's not right.

About 10 years ago we did a double height extension at the rear which extended 3m from the back of the original house. We now want to put a conservatory on the back of that extension, which would add another 4m (still within the 8m for a detached house). From looking at the technical guidance for the Permitted development, it appears you can add a single storey extension on the back of an existing extension as long as it doesn't exceed the 8m. It would only be half the width of the house and is about 1m from the boundary with next door.

Is my understanding correct or have I missed something?

Sponsored Links
That would need planning permission because the whole extension to the existing dwelling (ie existing 2-storey + new conservatory) would be counted as one for Planning purposes, and the resulting (total) extension would not be PD.

As tony1851 says under PD it is counted as one. The limits apply to the size of the total enlargement (being the proposed enlargement together with the existing enlargement).

Basically if you built a 2 storey 3m extension you can't build anything else under PD that connects onto it (not even a 1m extension to make the ground floor a 4m extension, the whole thing is now limited by the 3m 2 storey extension rule). You could however put an extension on another part of your house as long as it isn't connected to the existing extension.

There is not really any point doing pre planning consultation on a LDC/PD application.

Also to note the 8m rule requires prior notification and it not automatic in any case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back