Permitted development - single storey rear extension height

M

MattLowe

Hi,

We would like to build a full width single storey rear extension on our end of terrace house preferrably under a permitted development.

The hitch being the ground floor level of our house is 600mm above the external ground floor level and if we were to build under the 3m limit with 2m of any boundary... well it just wouldn't be worth it! Can our eaves be higher than this. Ideally want to build a flat roof, GRp with small parapet.

Any help, comments or experiences appreciated.

Sponsored Links
3m is the limit to the top of the roof finish within 2m of the boundary. So if a floor-ceiling of say 2.2 is too low then planning will be required.

I spoke with the on duty planning officer yesterday. Unfortunately I will require planning as anything over 3m high from external ground floor level will not be compliant with a prior approval or permitted development application.

Now I guess my question changes to, will I get planning for a rear extension 3.7m high, full width of a terrace house, 4.5m out into back garden?

The house is end of terrace and the adjacent neighbour has a 3m extension, about 3m high.

I spoke with the on duty planning officer yesterday. Unfortunately I will require planning as anything over 3m high from external ground floor level will not be compliant with a prior approval or permitted development application.

As FMT said then :confused:

will I get planning for a rear extension 3.7m high, full width of a terrace house, 4.5m out into back garden?

Unfortunately, we or anybody cannot predict the likelihood of proposals receiving a favourable planning decision. If we could, we'd be millionaires. A neighbour who may have done similar and therefore set a precedent can help, but even then... the LPA can and will come back with "each application is assessed on its own individual merits". You could always look at seeking pre-application advice. But to be honest, single storey extensions don't normally cause problems and normally go through planning with no problems at all.

Sponsored Links
Matt - how did this all end?

Downside of going down planning route is that some councils like mine will not allow you go to more than 3.5m deep v the PD of 8m on a detached (under temp PD rules).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back