Persistent leak in bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long story but here goes… 2 years ago a leak developed in the bedroom where the chimney meets the ceiling. Since then I’ve had the flashing redone and then went ahead with a new roof (not just because of the leak-it was knackared!) I would have expected this to solve everything so left it alone to dry as it had been leaking for years so soaking. Its been left a year and seemed to be dry so I was about to decorate again but now it’s got a bit colder the walls starting to drip and show signs of being damp. Could it be just room condensation and the water still in the plaster being drawn out or can anyone see anything obvious in the pictures I was given by the roofer of the work round the chimney that might suggest it’s still leaking?

I expect I will need a pro to look but wanted to be armed with any thoughts anybody might have. Ps I know I should go back to the original roofer but unfortunately he’s now retired so not really an option

IMG_2916.pngIMG_2917.pngIMG_2918.pngIMG_2919.pngIMG_2915.png

Sponsored Links
chimney needs pointing, top cut slate looks long indicating not much ridge to slate lap cant see any ridge roll under the ridges, fake cdrs behind chimney

to solve a persistent leak in the bedroom im potentially thinking about having the chimney taken down to slate level, either that or repointed and reflashed. does anyone have any idea what i should I expect to pay for both options? I like the look of the chimney even though it’s not in use so it’s a shame to lose it but I’m so sick of the leak! If the price is similar it’s worth trying again to fix it but if it’s a lot cheaper to take it down I might go with that option. Thanks
IMG_1154.png

Sponsored Links
You need to identify the source/cause of the leak first, with pics

Blup

Your chimney doesn't have a dpc so it will never be dry if you don't use it.
Single skin chimneys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back