Person on Gas Safe Certificate isn't who installed our boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a new boiler installed by a local company. The owner of the company came to do the quote and then two employees/contractors came to do the work.

The gas safe certificate has the name of someone totally different and the address of the person is a different town to that of the company. It clearly says “Work carried out by: John Smith” but no-one by that name ever came to our property.

Should this be a concern? Does that make the certificate void?

Furthermore, we run on LPG and the person named on the cert. isn't registered to do LPG, so I'm worried that the guys who came to do the work also aren't registered to do domestic LPG.

Sponsored Links
This is something you should be asking the person who did the job or gas safe if you are concerned.

If it's absolutely sure that the GSR engineer on the certificate wasn't the person that did the work and if the system is LPG and they don't have their LPG ticket then the certificate isn't valid and the installation hasn't been properly certified.

Legally, Gas Safe should be notified as it would be classified as an illegal install.

Sponsored Links
If it's absolutely sure that the GSR engineer on the certificate wasn't the person that did the work and if the system is LPG and they don't have their LPG ticket then the certificate isn't valid and the installation hasn't been properly certified.

Legally, Gas Safe should be notified as it would be classified as an illegal install.

Definitely wasn't the engineer who quoted or the one who did the work. And the address of the engineer on the cert. isn't one I recognise as being related to the company.

I guess the next question is should I pay them? I've been holding off paying until I got the certificate.

If it was me then no they wouldn't be paid.

Only issue is should the issue be raised with them or straight to Gas Safe. Some people may not agree but if you raise it with them it then gives the company the opportunity to correct it and if it definitely wasn't the guy on the cert who did the work and even if it was and they aren't certified to work on LPG - it is in essence illegal. If they did it once, how many others are the same.

If it is illegal work then that's highly dangerous and the company/individual needs to be reported.

Definitely wasn't the engineer who quoted or the one who did the work. And the address of the engineer on the cert. isn't one I recognise as being related to the company.

I guess the next question is should I pay them? I've been holding off paying until I got the certificate.
Is the address valid, does it even exist?

Do not pay them, try to avoid explaining why you are delaying paying, and get in touch immediately with GS and explain your concerns.

It will most likely affect your house insurance should their be an issue which is Gas related.

It is surprising just how many people do not know that an LPG Technician hold a different / additional GSR ticket to a mains gas chap.

Is the address valid, does it even exist?
Address is valid and "John Smith" is on the gas safe register. Looked up the company on Companies House and there's no John Smith mentioned, nor is John Smith mentioned on their website.

However, this has made me investigate further. The company who did the work clearly stated on their website that they do mains and LPG. I have emails and texts that show I told them it was LPG. But looking them up on Gas Safe I can see they're not certified to carry out domestic LPG boiler installs.

But oddly, neither is John Smith, so it's not like they're trying to get someone else to sign-off work they shouldn't have done.

Out of interest, if Mr Company Owner is on the gas safe register, can one of his employees carry out the work and Mr Owner still certify it? Or does the worker need to be regsitered too?

No one is allowed to work on gas for gain, be it NG or LPG, without the proper qualifications.

The only case where someone can work on gas without qualifications, is when they are training and under the supervision of a qualified GSR engineer. A gas engineer can do gas work under a company's Gas Safe registration number, without their own registration but they still need to be qualified.

I've found on the Gas Safe Register (with the help of Instagram) the guy who actually installed our boiler. Could someone in the know please clarify in what he needs to be qualified to be able to relocate and install a new LPG boiler?

He has an LPG tick next to "Building Regulations: Heating systems" but not next to "Gas Boiler: Central Heating DOM NG"

They can't have an LPG tick next to "Gas Boiler: Central Heating DOM NG" as the NG is for Natural Gas. They should have an LPG tick next to "Gas Boiler: Central Heating DOM LPG"

Sometimes the certificates are not worth the paper they are printed on. I know a sparks who gets his self employed son to certificate any private jobs he does and I know of a BG engineer who gets his private jobs certificated by another RGI who he does occasional work for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back