Peugeot boxer electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2008 Peugeot Boxer 2.2, found there is a 2.5-3amp current draw on the diesel pre heater unit fuse (50amp) when the ignition is off, which is accompanied by a very low level whirring sound from the bulkhead area near to the ECU, Any ideas? removed the fuse to stop it flattening the battery for now

Sponsored Links
It's common for all vehicle ECU's to take a while to shut down....often they burble or whistle for maybe 30 sec after the ignition is switched off.
Does the noise stop on yours?
John :)

It's common for all vehicle ECU's to take a while to shut down....often they burble or whistle for maybe 30 sec after the ignition is switched off.
Does the noise stop on yours?
No this seems to continue, but I have since discovered that if I remove the 50amp fuse for the heater plugs, it stops, looking into it further, I think it's the fuel pump running, but if the fuse for the fuel pump is removed, the sound continues, wondering if there could be something feeding back into the circuit, a few weeks ago, after driving through some floods (not particularly deep but a lot of water spraying around, I went to switch the van off but it kept running, switched the ignition back on straight away to prevent alternator damage, but then had to stall it to stop the engine.............. could it be related I wonder?

Sponsored Links
Wondering if the glow plug relay has failed in the energised position.....can you test for current at the plugs when the thing is still buzzing?
The relay is usually on the nearside bulkhead.
Im not sure why the engine wouldnt switch off though - unless that has cured itself?

Wondering if the glow plug relay has failed in the energised position.....can you test for current at the plugs when the thing is still buzzing?
The relay is usually on the nearside bulkhead.
Im not sure why the engine wouldnt switch off though - unless that has cured itself?
It's only drawing 2.5 amps which seems a bit low for heater plugs, unless they are all goosed, from clamp meter on earth lead at battery terminal, and confirmed by multimeter and then by measuring volt drop across the 50amp fuse, the failing to stop has cleared itself, but what I'm thinking is that the pump must have continued to run then or the engine would have been starved of fuel for a guess?

A difficult one, to be sure.....the engine stop system is deep inside the injector pump and whether its ignition switch or ECU controlled I wouldn't know but it wouldn't disconnect the alternator so no scares there.
2.5 A is far to low a current to be feeding the glowplugs but may be enough to supply the in tank fuel pump, and yet the fuse is rated at 50A? Looks like there is a cross feed somewhere which to me indicates a relay stuck on.
Does the ignition switch work well, or do you have to jiggle it around to get the engine to start?

Back