Physics Question

You don't need to guess; it would go off at a tangent.
That would require the force applied by the string to go to zero instantly. I just don't reckon it would work that way, the string would have elastic properties.
Probably, although the difference would be so small as to be practically negligible. That's the engineering solution :D

so what you're saying is I'm right and Joe is wrong? Only way it ever is.

Sponsored Links
The question is wrong as the mass of the sun cannot disappear. If it could - then I would be right.

The question is wrong as the mass of the sun cannot disappear. If it could - then I would be right.

Sun loses millions of tonnes of mass every second. But anyway, if the question was wrong, why did you answer it? And get the wrong answer?

You got this wrong too and was what I am referring to.

Now let me make this easier for you to comprehend.:

Get a fishing weight/plumb-bob/nut or bolt and fasten it to a piece of string/fishing line.

Spin it around over your head like a helicopter.
Now if you cut that line anywhere along its length the the effect to the weight at the end is instantaneous and it flies off at a tangent. Same with the Earth/Sun.

Pretty much everything you said there is wrong !!! It's not even like a helicopter!!!!

Oh dear Joe, remember the wise words of Mark Twain..

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I just have to ask again,,, What would make the sun, just disappear? Vamoosh, gone ,, in an instant?
Whatever could do that, would probably defy the laws of physics anyway, so the original question is nonsense. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links

Sun loses millions of tonnes of mass every second. But anyway, if the question was wrong, why did you answer it? And get the wrong answer?

You got this wrong too and was what I am referring to.

Now let me make this easier for you to comprehend.:

Get a fishing weight/plumb-bob/nut or bolt and fasten it to a piece of string/fishing line.

Spin it around over your head like a helicopter.
Now if you cut that line anywhere along its length the the effect to the weight at the end is instantaneous and it flies off at a tangent. Same with the Earth/Sun.

Pretty much everything you said there is wrong !!! It's not even like a helicopter!!!!

Oh dear Joe, remember the wise words of Mark Twain..

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

I'm right. Simples.

I just have to ask again,,, What would make the sun, just disappear? Vamoosh, gone ,, in an instant?
Whatever could do that, would probably defy the laws of physics anyway, so the original question is nonsense. ;) ;)

Of course it is nonsense. People are just too thick to realise how thick they are.

Of course it is nonsense. People are just too thick to realise how thick they are.

But you answered it joe....first one in. :mrgreen:

I answered the question correctly. The fact that it was an impossible situation was nothing to do with the original question.

If the Sun was to completely disappear in an instant, gone poof, nothing there, we would notice the light had gone out in the 8 1/2 minutes approx it takes for light to travel here, my question is, how soon after the Sun has disappeared would the lack of the Suns gravitational pull take effect?

Straight away.

Joe gets it Wrong!!!

And the postulated gravitational wave is thought to travel at the speed of light so if somebody ran off with the sun the effects would be felt here 8 minutes or so later.

Chapeau gets it Right!!

only way it ever is

Well what would happen to that gravity if both the sun and earth were to disappear at the same time? If you cannot answer - then I am right. Simples. ;)

It was a hypothetical question as far as I can tell. Whether or not it could happen is immaterial. I don't see any need to start insulting each other over it.

Well i think we are being remarkably kind to Joe given the circumstances. but you can always ignore him but where is tle fun in that.

You are missing the point of the question. It is a thought experiment if you like. It is about getting people to think about gravity and whether it has a speed in its influence or whether the removal or adding of a gravitational body effects everything in an instant.

It is not meant to be a realistic situation, just a way of getting people to ponder what is Gravity.

You are missing the point of the question. It is a thought experiment if you like. It is about getting people to think about gravity and whether it has a speed in its influence or whether the removal or adding of a gravitational body effects everything in an instant.

It is not meant to be a realistic situation, just a way of getting people to ponder what is Gravity.

he's only doing what you did in the would you shoot thread uri. :mrgreen:

I'm not 100 % sure of this, but I think it's about right.

When a star about 2 or 3 times bigger than the sun or larger comes to the end of it's life and runs out of fuel. It's core collapses under it's own gravity until it disappears up its own ar*e. They say it collapses to a "point" whatever that is. Anyway, it's unobservable because the gravity field becomes so strong that nothing can escape it, not even light. I think they reckon that that happens in next to no time. So what you end up with is a star thats disappeared in a puff, gone in an instant, and all according to the laws of physics. Though some scientists say it's gone from our universe it's gravity is still there. It's a strange world. :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back