Picture of the week!™

Incoming earth ok.
swa using core as cpc, ok.
No Banjo, but not required, ok.

Can't tell exactly, but is that cotton wool used as a gland for the incomers?

Why did the installer choose to make a couple of little electromagnets from the brown and red ?
I thought coiling ac singles is generally bad practise?
Does the mcb operate due to temp or magnetism? If magnetism, could the coils affect their ratings?

Sponsored Links
mixed colour scheme in the swa (red phase, blue neutral) - should the neutral have been sleeved black?

The main one I was after was the shiny shiny bits on top of the main switch.

Also for some reason ways 5 & 6 have been used, and then renumbered in marker pen as 1&2 :confused:

The tails are straight out of a busbar, but they are 16.0mm²the board isn't feeding too much.

It would have been nice to see a banjo on the SWA, but there was continuity to the SWA, so not too bad.

No RCDs are required.

There was a mixed colours notice on the cover, but the SWA should have been sleeved to one scheme or the other.

Did I cover everything? :LOL:

Probably dumb amateur time but: Is there anything actually connected to what looks like an earth terminal top right of the metal enclosure? Where/how is the enclosure earthed?

sometimes the bolt only gets used, if the earth cable is larger than what fits the holes in the earthbar.

Most earth bars have a manufacturers solid link on to the enclosure, therefore earths in the bar automatically connect to the enclosure also.

Sponsored Links
I always lug onto the bolt, and then from the bolt to the earth bar. I was always taught to do it like this. The pan assembly of DB's relys on a few self tapping screws.

The main one I was after was the shiny shiny bits on top of the main switch.

Yes. It looks like the installer hadn't done a Square D board before and has scrogged the top of the main switch. There should be a cover on top of the main switch covering the shiny connectors.

Possibly the cover broke off when he tried to plug it into the busbar at assembly time.
Also unfamiliarity with the plug-on stuff may be why he started furthest from the main switch for the cpds.

I've just found a photo of one of those boards with the little shroud jobbie in place.

IMGP1750.jpg

Though I had one too, but mine was a Merlin with a 'proper' busbar! Took the photo to demonstrate Split-Con a few years back.

1247319299.jpg

Shall we go completely off topic and turn this into a show us your best CU thread? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back