PIR external light sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm not normally on this side of the site.

I have fitted 2 led flood lights to my rear garden (22w each) and fitted one of these:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-standalone-pir-180/8461v

The trouble is that the thing sets the lights off with any plants or waterfall movement. I have set the sensitivity to the lowest setting.

Is there a PIR that only works on movement of people?

Andy

Sponsored Links
No, they detect variations in heat passing across their view.

You could try sticking some black tape on the lens in appropriate places.

I tried the black tape but it was still turning on with any movement from the garden.

Andy

Have you read the reviews? One says "Both are faulty in that even with the sensor covered in 3 layers of tape and a thick wooden glove over the sensor and sensitivity set to the lowest setting the lights are activated." Presumably he means a woolen glove, but even so...

Sponsored Links
Don't buy those tacky units ....fit either a gjd lighting system or ( if you can get hold of any ) clipsal infrascan e750 rock solid external mains pir

Many thanks Sparkymark, I have found a Clipsal e750 but not in black.

Any other suggestions?

Andy

I'm not sure of the height that you've set the PIR, nor the height of the bushes etc, but have you also tried raising it so that it detects at head height.

I'm not sure of the height that you've set the PIR, nor the height of the bushes etc, but have you also tried raising it so that it detects at head height.

The PIR is at 2m, the tree is an Acer which moves with the slightest of breeze. I can not raise the PIR as it is fitted to the brick wall with wires going through.

Andy

I've ordered a Steinel, will be here tomorrow and fitted.

I will let you guys know how I get on.

Andy

Well, I have fitted the Steinel sensor this afternoon and not one false setting.

Very pleased.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back