pir motion detector

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
can someone help me .i have brought a:http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-360-ceiling-standalone-surface-mounted-pir/80538 .wired from a three way switch on the wall .one switch goes to the bathroom light ,took off & there are 3 wires.put into holder , 1 earth to metal, plus 1 brown,1blue . took off factory fitted bridge. connected at piture H. brown in live,blue in neutral & earth in ,&earth to metal box ;not working ?.

Sponsored Links
The PIR requires permanent Live and Permanent Neutral.

The cable to the switch has Permanent Live and Switched Live. There is no Neutral connected to the switch. Just because the wire is blue or black does NOT mean it is Neutral.

The cable to the switch has Permanent Live and Switched Live. There is no Neutral connected to the switch. Just because the wire is blue or black does NOT mean it is Neutral.
thank you for your repley, at the moment ive got the brn cable in the live ,the blue inthe neutral earth to earth .where do i put them in .as figure G onthe (instaler guild).?

What did you remove ( a switch maybe ?) to get a cable with the Live "Neutral" and Earth that you are refering to ?.

You need FOUR wires to the PIR

Permanent Live
Neutral
Switched Live ( from the PIR to the lamp )
Earth.

Sponsored Links

thank you for your repley, at the moment ive got the brn cable in the live ,the blue inthe neutral earth to earth .where do i put them in .as figure G onthe (instaler guild).?
and do i use any of the switched load out. & do i leave the factory fitted bridge wire in .thank you.

The switched load out is the Switched Live that supplies the lamp and is controlled by a switch inside the PIR. Yes you need the link to provide Live to the switch inside the PIR

and do i use any of the switched load out. & do i leave the factory fitted bridge wire in .thank you.
there was alight on the wall in the downstairs toilet only 3 wires .blue ,brown &earth .the light was working.

there was alight on the wall in the downstairs toilet only 3 wires .blue ,brown &earth .the light was working.
hello again have put, reading diagram from the bottom :earth with earth ,n with blue,l bridgeing to l bridgeing wire &brown at the top .does not work .

took off factory fitted bridge.
Why?

If you did not provide an alternative permanent live to the terminal here:

screenshot_729.jpg

how on earth did you think it would provide a switched live out to your light?

wired from a three way switch on the wall
Well which did you take the supply to the PIR from? The switch or the light?

And was the light on all the time, because if not then clearly it doesn't have a permanent live.

I still don't think you understand that a blue or black wire going to a terminal on a normal light switch will not be a neutral.

In fact I don't think you understand any of the most basic things which you need to know to be able to do electrical work. I strongly advise either putting the PIR back in its box and not attempting any more work until after you've spent some time learning, or calling an electrician.

okay Bernard will try again tomorrow ,of to bed as1030 here in Cyprus .thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Back