PIR Sensor + Two core & earth (uninsulated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Yes the OP was wrong to even consider using the CPC for the neutral but he did not know how important the CPC is even if the appliance (lamp) does not require an earth.
That's because he didn't do enough studying in advance.

Sponsored Links
I agree with BAS on this occasion - you should be sure of how to do what you are doing before you start. If you are unsure once you have started you should stop, go and find out the information you need, then commence work in a safe way.

The OP says he didn't energise the circuit before asking for advice here, but only after the error of his ways was pointed out.

People often seem to treat electricity in a different way to other types of work - very few would consider removing a chimney without advice before proceeding, or repairing a gas boiler. But with electricity there is a worrying trend of trying it out, and if it works it must be fine.

So your reproach is not only unhelpful, it's unwarranted.
It was not I who wrote this:

It is dangerous and foolish. If you even for a moment thought that was acceptable I don't think you should complete any further electrical work, and should get any previous work you have done inspected by a competent person.
So your objections to being reproached should be directed at phatboy, surely?

It seems while a lot of decent folk are on this forum who are willing to assist and help, a certain few are more interested in using it as a platform to exert their superiority over a subject and denigrate others. :rolleyes:
So saying that I'd prefer it if people learned about things beforehand, and acquired a full and genuine understanding of how it worked and exactly what to do before they picked up a screwdriver was exerting my superiority and denigrating you, was it?

Out of curiosity, why don't many of the appliances that we plug in at 13A sockets not contain an earth in their leads?

Because the appliances are double-insulated so they don't need one and

the flex is not 'fixed wiring' as are the cables being discussed in the thread to which the regulations apply.

It would be 'safer' if they did especially for outdoor equipment and tools.

I suspect big business economics may be involved. Safety is one thing but ...

Okay. So next one :mrgreen:

Why don't many 240v downlighters contain a terminal for terminating an earth? They will always be part of a fixed wiring set up - it's the lack of terminal that led me to believe that one should not run an earth to them.

Why don't many 240v downlighters contain a terminal for terminating an earth? They will always be part of a fixed wiring set up - it's the lack of terminal that led me to believe that one should not run an earth to them.

All the ones I have fitted had an earth terminal..... are you using cheap Chinese imports similar?

Oops. Confess I was mixing up the 240v & 12v downlighters. The 240v do have earths (and are wired 3 core flex) & it's the 12v that don't and are wired with 2 core flex.

from the transformer to the fitting, yes, as the secondary side of the transformer is SELV and doesn't require an earth, no matter what the fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back