Pitched Gable Roof

At the risk of asking a silly question, why don’t you put the beam in first (particularly if one end is going into an existing wall) then put the rafters onto it?
Obviously you’re guessing a bit with the block work as you’ve not got the rafter line to work to,

Sponsored Links
At the risk of asking a silly question, why don’t you put the beam in first
Yes, you could put two pair of rafters up at each end then add the ridge beam, then add the rest of the rafters, I guess.

At the risk of asking a silly question

Yes, you could put two pair of rafters up at each end then add the ridge beam, then add the rest of the rafters, I guess.

Good question. I'm fairly terrified of my next extension and trying to work out an efficient of cutting a lot of rafters.

For me, I think the length of the ridge beam means it's going to have to go in first, maybe by crane.

I think my best way is going to be to try to get the wall plates level and parallel, then cut two pair of rafters, and then drop the beam then wiggle about and raise/lower the padstones if required?

Good question. I'm fairly terrified of my next extension and trying to work out an efficient of cutting a lot of rafters.

For me, I think the length of the ridge beam means it's going to have to go in first, maybe by crane.

I think my best way is going to be to try to get the wall plates level and parallel, then cut two pair of rafters, and then drop the beam then wiggle about and raise/lower the padstones if required?

guess it depends on what kind of platform you can safely build to support it - trickier at 2nd floor height I guess.
Still, nosealls “a load of concrete blocks sat on what looks like a scaffold board” seemed to do the trick...

Sponsored Links
not a problem.

Make a pair of rafters and sit them on your wall plates before finishing your gable. The rafters should have the cut-outs already in. You can then build your gable using the rafter cut-out as a guide as to where exactly you should position your beam and padstones.

Position your padstones so that you have some wriggle room whereby you can jack the beam up and then pack under the beam after.
I've got some piccies somewhere...:sneaky:

I used a pair of rafters (complete with BM's) as a guide as to where to locate the padstones etc. Once I'd temporarily offered up the rafters, I used the purlin BM as a guide by inserting a piece of timber into the BM that represented the exact profile of the beam + bolted timber plate.
I then set the padstones down a little so that I had some wriggle room and simply jacked and packed the beams once two pairs of rafters were in place.

Sorry about the delay, Ive just got back from hol's.

Last edited:
As I was saying...
I used the purlin BM as a guide by inserting a piece of timber into the BM that represented the exact profile of the beam + bolted timber plate.
I then set the padstones down a little so that I had some wriggle room and simply jacked and packed the beams once two pairs of rafters were in place.
Here is a better pic of us actually building the gable and pads with the temp' rafters in place in reference to the above, complete with a lump of wood representing the profile of the beam etc....

I assume the temp rafters were then removed completely when the steels were craned in? They look absolutely massive, is that purely due to the length of the roof? Which doesn’t even seem that long, 4-5m? (Estimating off the rafter spacings) was a single steel as a ridge beam not going to cut it? Or smaller purlins and a steel ridge?

I assume the temp rafters were then removed completely when the steels were craned in?
Correct. Those sharp eyed amongst you will see temporary timber holding sprags, slung from the props to stop the single skin blockwork blowing over before its set.

They look absolutely massive, is that purely due to the length of the roof? Which doesn’t even seem that long, 4-5m? (Estimating off the rafter spacings) was a single steel as a ridge beam not going to cut it? Or smaller purlins and a steel ridge?
Yes they were massive and I think the SE accidentally calculated for an 8m span.

I think 150mm x 50mm was the optimum size for vaulted insulation detail and the beams were positioned according to span...or summat.

Excellent. What’s the purpose of the lower steel, just the support of ceiling joists? Or is that a floor? got any post plastering pics?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back