Pitched or Flat (EPDM?) Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, this is not a post to show off a pool (before any one makes any negative comments) :)

Can I kindly get some opinions on Flat v Pitched roof, please? I am stuck between the 2, and have been for a while! I have added a few pictures below.
Dormer Bungalow
Area of extension in question is approx 100m2
North facing garden

Pitched (Spec'd at 17.5 degree pitch):
Like the look Externally as it blends in with the existing property
Vaulted ceiling
Probably will last longer

pitchedroof.jpg

Flat Roof (Note: It will be a complete flat roof and not exactly as showing in picture below)
Like the look Internally
Will let in more natural light
flatroof.jpg

Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are only 3 things in life that are certain.

You were born, you will die, & flat roofs leak.

Pitch it & channel that rain back into Mother Earth where it intended to fall, not into the kitchen/bathroom/swimmin pool in a drip drip fashion.

Sponsored Links
Pitched with larger roof windows that are electric.

Andy

Something like this > LUXLITE - Roof Maker (roof-maker.co.uk)
Have to say it looks better than the smaller Velux windows

There are only 3 things in life that are certain.

You were born, you will die, & flat roofs leak.

:D That's deep.

Pitched in zinc panels for me please! ;)
Just had a look at Zinc roofs, looks interesting. No idea of what costs are though!

I would work out the structure of each before you decide. If you can build a hand cut roof off of a ridge support beam then I would go for a pitched roof. If the pitched roof requires deep trusses then you will have to box the roof windows and that's not a good look internally. In that case I would go for a flat roof with lanterns. PS; quality flat roofs built properly will last 40 years.

DSC00133.png
3000x1000 Luxlite landscape window = £2,153.00
Opening window = £350
Electric blinds = £695

Total = £3198 + VAT
£3837.60!

I will require 2 of the above so nearly £8k!

Bit more than I imagined. VELUX do not offer a window the size of the above. Has any one had any dealings with Luxlite? Or can recommend another manufacturer to compare against?

A big cost for the electric blinds - would be nice to have, but do i really need them! Are there any 3rd party vendors who offer a addon?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back