Planing my extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am looking for some advice on issues i think i may face with my extension, i plan to do as much work as possible - footings, bricklaying, roofing, electrics etc

i live in a std 50's built 3 bed semi detached house and want to put up a permitted development extension at the back to hose a downstairs loo , utility space and extend the living room.

my main issue is the location of the manhole / drains. The bath room is at the back with the std soil stack running down the outside wall, the drains are approx 1.9m away from the rear wall, the drain serves at least 4 properties (2 semi) before me and the other side of my semi before heading down their shared drive to the main sewer.

Can i do away with the manhole and replace the open pipe with a fixed pipe, joining my soil into that run?
or
move the manhole back along the drain run so that is directly opposite my soil stack

if neither are allowable under regs, what is the minimum angle the soil pipe can intersect with the drains and does that have to be a straight run

Sponsored Links
It helps if you include a simple diagram showing existing and proposed works.
You've asked some specific questions but the experienced people on here might come up with a solution that you had not thought of.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the drain in question is either already the reponsibilty of the local Water Authority, or is likely to become so in the near future. This being the case you will require a "Build Over Agreement" to build your extension over the drain and whether this is permitted will depend on the condition of the drain - you may be required to divert the drain around your extension. I can assure you that this will be a considerable expense.

Sorry to be blunt, snapper, but that looks more like a cryptic map of where you buried the treasure than a diagram.

I don't know if anyone else thinks likewise.

It's just as easy to draw a diagram, scan it in, save it as a .jpeg, then upload it.

Alternatively, you can draw it with something like Excel, Paint, etc.

24.gif

If you have Excel try that.
When you have a new sheet open, click "Insert", "Picture", "Autoshapes", then take your pick.
Alternatively, click "View", "Toolbars", "Drawing" and you should have a range of drawing tools along the bottom of the sheet to choose from.

By highlighting the complete drawing, you can then copy and paste it into something like Paint to save it as a .jpeg.

Once you've drawn your picture, if you want you can turn off the grid lines:
"Tools", "Options", then select the "View" tab and untick "Gridlines".

anoyingly i use a mac, but i've a plan i will try tomorrow using my camera phone and taking pics of the area, upload to photobucket and insert in to the thread

Yes, you could set a new manhole at 90 degrees to the svp.

So long as the last bit of pipe is heading down stream you are ok. New plastic chamber bottoms have this turning facility whereby they turn or angle the foul waste so that it is angled down-stream

You could even head it in the wrong direction and use what is known as a long slow bend which would allow you to join the run going in the correct direction. This could potentially allow you to set the chamber slightly up-stream of the svp.

Common sense says have a chamber or any connections running down-steam and this is always preferred but not always practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back