Planning department cock up. Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for taking a look at my current problem.

I purchased a house in August last year and unfortunately it has taken between then and now to get to the current stage. I have had lots of pre planning talks about a single front extension with a balcony above and a double side extension. Everything was provisionally agreed after lots of amendments and we put in the full application at the beginning of January.

Today was supposed to be the day we got the yes or the no. I have called the planning department who have said that on the letters they sent to the neighbours they forgot to mention the balcony in the description of works so they need to resend the letter out. Now excluding the fact I am pretty annoyed that I have been discussing this with them for 8 months and the balcony was mentioned from day 1 does this seem a little crazy? Ultimately the neighbours are aware a planning application has gone in, they can all view the drawings online, we have not had a single complaint and now this. The description of works on the planning application online do clearly include the balcony so I believe it is just the letters to the neighbours which missed it. I have builders ready to go and I'm living elsewhere whilst we get the works done and it's costing me a fortune with every delay they cause.

Does anyone have any detailed knowledge of the planning system. Is this something which is legally crucial and would justify another 3 weeks delay and give everyone another chance to complain?

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm pretty run down and stressed from this whole ordeal.

Thanks
Greg

Sponsored Links
They are allowed a period of 8 weeks beween registering the application and issuing a decision (this period can be extended by agreement by both sides).
If the 8-week period has passed and you have not been notified of a decision, you can appeal to the Planning Inspectorate on the basis of non-determination.
If the delay is caused by the LPAs incompetence, that's frustrating for you but there's little practical you can do.
If you appeal now, that can take 12 weeks and the planning dept will stop considering your application. If you think the LPA is minded to approve your scheme, you may be better waiting.

It seems that you are being made to pay for their cock-up. You say that your application was submitted at the beginning of January, therefore the decision day would be the beginning of March. They are already 4 weeks overdue and now want another 3. As Tony said, an appeal will take another 12 weeks but I would think that you should write to the Head of Planning and copy the letter to your Councillor and your MP. This incompetence should not go unrecorded.

thanks for the replies guys

tony1851 - very useful and as it is looking reasonably likely they will agree it I seem to have no real option other than to wait. :(

maltaron - I completely agree. If this was a private company they wouldn't be able to get away with giving such a crap service and still be in business. The problem is that I feel I am walking on egg shells with them. What is to say if I kick up a fuss that my application doesn't get declined for various reasons.

As the only access to the balcony is through an inset door in the roof I did suggest to save any delays they could agree it without the inset door so I could start straight away. Then, whilst they are waiting to hear from the neighbours if there are no objections I could just put the door in as originally planned. They said this was not an option.

So whats best to do with the planners. Should I kick up a fuss and rock the boat or are these people like a wasps nest - best left well alone unless you want to get stung?

Sponsored Links
definitely best left! if you want, kick up a fuss after they have made their decision

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back