Planning permission for 1985 extension

Firstly be careful what you discuss with the Council, it might invalidate a potential indemnity policy. Whilst they are generally a waste of time and money some mortgage lenders insist on them so you could be making life very difficult for yourself.

Secondly, you can now go back to vendor and ask him about the 1987 application. Was it a full plans application and was it approved or was it a building notice?

With regard to site inspections I'm not sure what the "no entries of inspections" means. Is this just that the person was looking on the central register which just details the applications or does their system log each site inspection? Whenever I have had to check inspection records on older applications it is a matter of going into the Council offices and looking at the old archives, usually on microfiche or scanned and looking at the hand written inspection reports on the file. You would expect that if they went to the trouble to submit an application they would have had at least some of the inspections carried out.

Sponsored Links
You would think so .why bother applying if not prepared to follow the rules
The lass from the council is not actually from the council, she's a contractor from a firm that runs building control and inspections. If the sale goes through I will get to meet her when we alter the drainage/ make a new connection
I don't know if inspections are recorded but you would assume so these days, if not the case back in 1987.
If the inspector moves on / changes jobs, where are inspections recorded for other folk to follow on with the job
This is a relatively small problem in the great scheme of things but it is bloody frustrating
We have decided to tell our solicitor to get the vendor to to provide proof of completion ( unlikely) or pay for indemnity insurance, and we will see what happens

I still don't have a clue what the OP's beef is, so the seller didn't fill a form in right, it hasn't got approval. Buy it if you want or don't if you don't. WTF is the point of an indemnity here?

Wasnt there a change in Building Regs around about the mid 1980`s regarding Planning permission being exempt from small extensions and conservatories .

Sponsored Links
Don't know about that boss white,which is the reason for asking in the first place
I don't know enough in this area and sought advise off people that I think do know a bit
I don't have a beef other than trying to stop my children buying a problem off some lying to us.
You don't make a mistake on these forms when you have paid for and watch an extension being built, only a idiot thinks otherwise.
As I see it we have two options.buy it or don't
At a point close to exchanging contracts, that will cost us a few thousand

The questions have been answered.

The work is beyond the time limits for any enforcement. The only issue is whether the extension is structurally sound - which is dealt with by a building survey.

It is really that simple.

I would see where you go but if I were the vendor I would probably refuse your request. There is a reason why the council aren't interested in enforcement.
What is the actual reason why you want to punish the vendor? Is it the building of the extension without getting it signed off or for ticking the wrong box? Either way it won't make the building anymore likely to fail or stay up, that is for you to now assess.
Indemnity won't help either, it doesn't cover you in case the building fails, it covers you in the event of enforcement being taken and the chance of that is absolutely zero after 30 years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back