Planning permission for a conservatory? Yay or Nay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say I only found this Forum today and it is Bl00dy good how much info you can find on it!.

Anyway..

I am planning a conservatory in my back Garden, it is going to be pretty basic.

Dwarf Wall on 3 sides,
A higher wall on the boundary with my Closest Neighbor (Semi-Det).
But it will be pretty big.

I did the drawings myself to try and Kick start Planning permission and I have submitted them.

But then My builder told me - I probably would not need planning permission for a conservatory if it has no plumbing/heating.

Have I just opened myself up to being refused permission for something that I probably didn't need it for?

Sponsored Links
provided you are not within 6m of a public highway you should be ok.*

you must also maintain a suitable external specification door, separating habitable from the conservatory.

it is frowned upon, to use the habitable central heating system to heat the conservatory. try to insure an independent heating system.

the electrics, depending upon any 'new' circuitry, may need to be part p certified.

*the proximity to a highway is a guess, but if the connie is close to one, then it will be relevant.

i'm pretty sure you don't nee planning permission fo a conservatory without central heating ;) you only need planning permission for a central heated one. this is because while ever the conservatory has no heating it is not classes as an extension as it can be removed at any poit,but with a heated one you can't

but i'm sure i heard the other month that they was making it that yiu dont need permission for either a conservatory or a loft conversion,but worth checking up first :rolleyes: ;)

don't confuse building regs with planning permission. As long as the conservatory fits ceratin criteria, certain elements will not require building regs approval. The planning permission is best resolved by a quick phone call to the local planning dept. We needed permission for ours, as due to the size it took us over our permitted development rights. They classed the garage built at the time of the house under those rights, and our allowance was reduced as we are in an area of outsatnding beauty. Different councils interpret the rules differently

Give them a call and they'll give you a quick answer

Sponsored Links
as Thermo says, most of my pointers were advice regarding building reg's.

building a connie within so many metres of a highway DOES fall under planning permission parameters.

couldnt see the dims on the drawing......my eyesights going!

Google " Permitted Development "

Most conservatories will come under permitted development rights, but you must check if you have these rights.

The heating bit mentioned by the builder relates to building regs, buts its misleading.

You can have heating, but it must be isolated from the main house system. Also the conservatory must be separated by a door. If you open up the room, and extend the heating rads, then you will require b/regs approval - which ironically would then be difficult to get due to the large area of glass and plastic roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back