Planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Considering building a pagoda onto the back of our house. Could anyone tell me if I will need planning permission for this type of structure. I've heard that because it doesn't have a roof, and is within my garden boundaries, it won't be required. Just want to make sure before I start.
Thanks,
Alan

Sponsored Links
You will need to submit architects plans, as well as a structural engineers report to ensure that the pergola can take the weight of any climbing plants, hanging baskets etc.

:evil:

i would say not... but if your worried go see the planning office which has leaflets on what and what doesn't need planning permission.

Sponsored Links
A Pagoda (large oriental mult-level tower) wil require planning permission and possibly building regs approval

A Pergola (an open sided and open roof garden structure) will not require planning permission.

classed as a temporary garden structure so no you dont need it, same as a shed etc.

I can't remember if there's a maximum height for this(?) Mind you it would looks stupid if it was too high!

Thanks for all your advice people, very much appreciated. Looks like I got my japanese terminology mixed up...it is in fact, a pergola. My applogies on that.
With regard to the structures height, won't be much more than 6ft. 6ins. at most I reckon (seeing as i'm only 5ft. 7ins. !!!)
Also, advice on giving a hike up to windows for the criminal element well noted.
Once again, your advice very much appreciated.
Regards,
Alan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back