Plasterboard running behind wall partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Bought a house. Found rot and damp in the spare bedroom, traced it to the shower (we never used cos it looked gross). The bathroom backs onto the bedroom. Finally ripped the shower out and found the guy had used the corner of the room and tiled straight onto the plasterboard. The problem seems to be that the plasterboard on the back wall of the shower is a continuous piece that terminates 50cm or so into the bedroom. The damp has just travelled along it. The separating wall between bathroom and bedroom is pinning that plasterboard. How do I replace the rotten board? Should I replace it as a continuous piece again? Have I given you enough info?
Thanks,
Aid.

Sponsored Links
What is your medium/long term goal with this?
Are you going to rip out shower room or replace with new fittings/tiles?

I want a working shower area, so I'd say it'll be retiled, new cubicle and shower.

try in decorating/tiling forum and have a look @ wiki for tanking rooms ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Nige, thanks, I will look there for help with the tiling, but first I need to know what to do about the plasterboard that's pinned by the partition wall but extends into the bedroom. It's mouldy and spread from shower area to bedroom. I'm not sure what options there are other than dismantle the partition in order to replace the board. I hope I'm explaining well enough, I'd include a diagram if I could. If it were like a 'T', the top, horizontal would be the grotty plasterboard and the vertical line would be the partition between bedroom and shower room. And my fiance says I cant explain stuff :D
I'm interested in options. Thanks.[/img]

you can replace the board in the bathroom easily with aquapanel waterproof tiling board..........but the bedroom ,I`d leave alone and decorate over... :?: .....cutting out and re plastering would not be easy diy. :cry: depends on how bad/far it`s into the bedroom wall.....but if you do it then you can cut out from each side and just leave the bit trapped behind the stud wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back