Plasterboard wall fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have to fix a 10kg electric radiator to a wall that seems to be made entirely of plasterboard (i..e. no cavity).
Which wpuld be the best fixings to achieve this?
Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
No. It is a 60mm thick internal partition wall in a flat between a kitchen and a bedroom. Looks original.

I had thought to use GeeFix fittings but when I drilled the 25mm hole I found no cavity.

Is ''no cavity' a normal drywall method?

I

Sponsored Links
You are going to hate me for saying this, but on the types of partition walls I am talking about the manufacturers advice is that the walls are not structural and that all shelving, furniture, etc must be free standing.

No. It's good to know the truth. That's why I post on this forum. Thing is, I've already bought the radiators and 3 of them are up already (rawlplugged into brick). My research suggests the 'shear strength' of the screw in type of anchor I referenced above is around 7.5 kg. So with 2 brackets, I imagine 15 kg could be supported -1.5X the weight of the radiator.
I'm minded to give the screw in anchors a try.

It is a 60mm thick internal partition wall
I had something similar in a previous home. I think it was just three plasterboard sheets stacked together.
If it were me, I'd probably mount the rad using long bolts/screws right through the wall and into a batten (or possibly a wall cupboard) the other side. A cupboard would have the advantage of counter-balancing the rad's tendency to bow the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back