plasterer damaged my window sill

Well I thought I'd put the question to joiners, plasterers and builders I know personally as I have an Instagram just for people I know from work.

Granted the questions have only been up for just over an hour but so far about 50 people have replied give or take.

Not that it will make much difference to the way noseall thinks, that amount of arrogance is hard to convince otherwise and he probably won't believe me when I say the people answering are genuine either but it doesn't matter, I know who I'd rather take advice from.

Like I said, do it how you want but your way is not the only way.

PhotoGrid_1542704057036.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its a carpenter not a joiner :mrgreen:

A carpenter does site fix. A joiner generally makes joinery....

windowboards can be fitted before or after, but if you ask a carpenter to fit them after plastering he wont be very happy o_O

If doing after:
most windowboards have horns that wrap around the reveal, that means cutting out a section either side, if the reveals get wider towards the back its impossible to fit without gaps, in any case it requires accurate cutting.

Also it means the horns have to be cut very accurately or again there are gaps.

Windowboards typically sit in the groove in the window and are levelled to that -if doing after then the carpenter has to go where the plasterer has set his bead

If doing before:
-windowboards can be fitted on straps or brackets below (better than gripfill onto thermalites) and easily set level

-windowboards can be cut 10mm narrower than structural reveal

-windowboards can have horn cut with gap to front

-plasterer then has somewhere to finish on underside of windowboard, otherwise he needs to set a bead.

Where oak windowboards are involved, it does become a bit of a question which order to do it -there is risk of plaster blobs and plasterers trowel causing damage as well as moisture causing cupping.

Its a carpenter not a joiner :mrgreen:

A carpenter does site fix. A joiner generally makes joinery....

windowboards can be fitted before or after, but if you ask a carpenter to fit them after plastering he wont be very happy o_O

If doing after:
most windowboards have horns that wrap around the reveal, that means cutting out a section either side, if the reveals get wider towards the back its impossible to fit without gaps, in any case it requires accurate cutting.

Also it means the horns have to be cut very accurately or again there are gaps.

Windowboards typically sit in the groove in the window and are levelled to that -if doing after then the carpenter has to go where the plasterer has set his bead

If doing before:
-windowboards can be fitted on straps or brackets below (better than gripfill onto thermalites) and easily set level

-windowboards can be cut 10mm narrower than structural reveal

-windowboards can have horn cut with gap to front

-plasterer then has somewhere to finish on underside of windowboard, otherwise he needs to set a bead.

Where oak windowboards are involved, it does become a bit of a question which order to do it -there is risk of plaster blobs and plasterers trowel causing damage as well as moisture causing cupping.

Call em what you want, if they're not noseall they're doing it wrong.:mrgreen:

All window boards are plastered in. It's not just the reveals either. There is the underside plaster join to consider too.

Sammi IS clueless.

Oak window boards are sealed prior to skimming.

I mean there's two people told you it can be done before or after.

I've held a poll and had answers (from people whose opinions I value far more highly than yours) which have said by majority they do them afterwards yet your go-to is to insult me.

It's not that you're trying to educate others, or to help explain why it should be done your way, it's just that you're a sausage who can't stomach not having it your way so you call me clueless instead.

You really are full of it.

Anyone reading this thread: Window boards are a first fix item and are installed prior to plastering - always have been and always will be.

MOD: Quit the squabbling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lets face it, plasterers are mucky buggers, they make a mess all over the place, the slap thier kit down where the heck they want and generally leave evidence of their visit that's not on the walls.
They always have, always will.
I wonder if Sammy's poll happens top be a poll among plasterers? making it a tad biased. :)

The window boards are nothing to do with a plasterer, they line the window - the plasterer should not be touching them (but of course they do because they don't respect anything else except where the plaster is going to go).

That should be a mandatory phrase printed on all plasterer's business cards. A bit like a government cigarette health warning.
I was surprised when the plasterer arrived to plaster my kitchen and brought carpet protector which he put down as he walked in. He actually tried to keep mess to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
Back