Plastic Backboxes in a kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Is there somewhere in the Wiring Regulations (UK) that states you can't use Plastic Back Boxes (the plasterboard type) for sockets in a Kitchen?

I've read plenty of websites saying you can't, I can see the reasoning behind it but I've struggled to find the actual text in a regulation that states or infers you can't.

Sponsored Links
If anything the fact they're plastic would be a good thing. I don't like them for maintenance purposes, they are often a bit fiddly to take the accessories off and on at times and the screws on the lugs can become tight to screw into in some of my experience. I'd much rather a Noggin and metal

Hi.

Is there somewhere in the Wiring Regulations (UK) that states you can't use Plastic Back Boxes (the plasterboard type) for sockets in a Kitchen?

I've read plenty of websites saying you can't,

Are you looking at plumbers forums?

There are no such regs

Sponsored Links
Is there somewhere in the Wiring Regulations (UK)
No.

There may be considerations from the Building Regulations for fire, if the sockets were to be installed in a wall between the kitchen and another room and that wall was forming a fire compartment.
However that depends on exactly where this kitchen was, and what other rooms or properties was adjacent to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back