Plastic or metal sockets in garage ?

I’d price up large trunking, or even trunking that includes sockets. It would be more expensive, but way quicker to install compared to banging in clips.
Would not attaching the trunking taken even longer than 'banging in clips'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
t he at was my thought/solution also, but will the 3 pipes that can get warm, not affect the cables in anyway where the conduit passes underneath the pipes, or will it be insignificant and of no concern ?
For what it's worth, I would personally say "insignificant and of no concern". Not too long ago I came across some T+E cable which, for whatever reason, was literally 'wrapped around' (at least 3 or 4 'turns') a CH pipe under floorboards, and had been for 30+ years. Although I did replace (and re-route!) it, the cable was visibly fine, had not become brittle, and tested OK (insulation resistance) as well.

Kind Regards, John

Would not attaching the trunking taken even longer than 'banging in clips'?

Kind Regards, John
Not necessarily.

Think about how long it takes to drill, plug and screw 5 double back boxes to the wall then clip the cable. Then think about mounting a length of trunking. Of the two methods I'd certainly take the easy and tidy option of trunking if appropriate.

Not necessarily. Think about how long it takes to drill, plug and screw 5 double back boxes to the wall then clip the cable. Then think about mounting a length of trunking. Of the two methods I'd certainly take the easy and tidy option of trunking if appropriate.
You seem to be talking about 'trunking which includes sockets'. I was talking just about trunking (between sockets which themselves had been fixed to the wall), and I still think that just clipping the cable to the wall (between the wall-attached sockets) would be quicker/easier than attaching trunking (between the wall-attached sockets), wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You seem to be talking about 'trunking which includes sockets'. I was talking just about trunking (between sockets which themselves had been fixed to the wall), and I still think that just clipping the cable to the wall (between the wall-attached sockets) would be quicker/easier than attaching trunking (between the wall-attached sockets), wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John
Ah I must have missed something, I thought the suggestion being discussed was using 100mm trunking with sockets clipped in.

EDIT: Apologies; I got confused between 2 different comments in the thread.

If the cable(s) don't require additional protection you could be correct.

Last edited:
Ah I must have missed something, I thought the suggestion being discussed was using 100mm trunking with sockets clipped in. EDIT: Apologies; I got confused between 2 different comments in the thread. If the cable(s) don't require additional protection you could be correct.
Yes, I think you misunderstood. In the OP, we were only asked if plastic sockets (rather than metalclad) were allowed in a garage. A subsequent question was whether the cables needed to be in conduit/trunking or whether they could just be clipped to the walls - and he/she was told that clipped to wall was acceptable. I think you are the only person who introduced the idea of large trunking with 'clipped in' sockets!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I think you misunderstood. In the OP, we were only asked if plastic sockets (rather than metalclad) were allowed in a garage. A subsequent question was whether the cables needed to be in conduit/trunking or whether they could just be clipped to the walls - and he/she was told that clipped to wall was acceptable. I think you are the only person who introduced the idea of large trunking with 'clipped in' sockets!

Kind Regards, John
Actually I think it may be you who's confused:whistle::)...
I’d price up large trunking, or even trunking that includes sockets.
It would be more expensive, but way quicker to install compared to banging in clips.
I often use 100 x 50 trunking with inserts for sockets, switches, easy peasy & allows for additions
It was those I thought you were referring to.

My actual problem being I was also doing something elsewhere on a similar vein (best way to add 3 compartment dado trunking between 200x150mm 2 compartment and 75x50mm galve trunkings) so I had several trains of thought going on at the same time.

Actually I think it may be you who's confused:whistle::)... .... It was those I thought you were referring to.
I was, but I obviously interpreted a little differently from you. When Tigercubrider wrote (my emboldening) ...
I’d price up large trunking, or even trunking that includes sockets.
It would be more expensive, but way quicker to install compared to banging in clips.
... I took the second sentence (to which I responded to "large trunking", not the "or even...." (which i took to be an 'afterthought) "... trunking that included sockets. So I suppose your interpretation (that the second sentence refers to the "or even" clause of the first sentence) may be correct!

However, having looked back, I admit that I was wrong to accuse you of having been the first person to introduce that idea - so my apologies for that!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back