Plastic pipe ID and stop cock advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post on here but I've been lurking for a while and gotten quite an education on these pages. Thanks!

Two things I'm stumbling on. Firstly I have some plastic pipe in the house I can't identify and I can't seem to find inserts for. I tried polly plumb and the inserts definitely don't fit. Any ideas what brand this is? (see photo)

Secondly, I need to chase in the pipe from my stopcock. The pipe coming from it is 15mm (or maybe imperial equivalent). Any ideas what fittings I would need to fit a new pipe into that stopcock? The house is 1950's, local authority built in Bristol.

Thanks in advance!
IMG_3943.jpg
IMG_3945.jpg

Sponsored Links
Don't recognise the fitting, most have a name moulded on the cap (Bartol Acorn, Hep2o etc) if there's no makers name on it then it's probably a Chinese import or similar.
That fitting is a "O" ring first type and uses an all metal grab ring that cannot be reused once it has been installed, a new grab ring is required that is a problem if you don't know what make it is.
The copper looks fairly new, have you installed it into the fitting ? If so did you renew the grab ring, it's dangerous to mix internal components from different manufacturers.

As for the stopcock it's got a union connector on the outlet, possibly 3/4" BSP but who knows, personally I would either get rid of the lead main and replace with MDPE if not practical fit another stopcock on the outlet side rather than risk disturbing the 60+ year old one, unless you can turn the water off in the street and put a leadloc on.

Thanks for the response SandyLyon,

Don't worry I'm not trying to re-fit anything into these fittings, I think it was a fairly recent job so the copper is new! Just trying to re-direct the existing grey pipe to move some rad's. To do this I need to cut it. My issue is trying to find some inserts that fit so I can push it into a branded fitting.

The lead pipe runs under the solid floor to the other side of the house so its not easy to replace. The aim here is to chase the copper into the wall. Considering I only have a few inches of lead to play with, is it a bold move to put a leadloc on or are they a pretty easy and reliable affair? It would be nice to get rid of that huge stopcock!

Thanks again!

That's the old style hep2o pipe.. Doesn't matter what fittings you use on it as long as the inserts are the same make

Sponsored Links
That's the old style hep2o pipe.. Doesn't matter what fittings you use on it as long as the inserts are the same make

How do you know it's Hep2o, are you making this assumption on the fact it's grey ?

There are plenty of other makes of grey pipe out there, old Hep2o, Polyplumb, Qualpex plus all the imported stuff.

If it is Hep2o it will be laser printed along its length, I would guess it doesn't have any markings on it as it was probably purchased at the same time as the fittings (that apparently have no name on)

It was an assumption on the photo you provided and mentioning there were no markings on the fitting (old hep2o fittings didn't have the brand printed on it either) also the metal insert and grab ring looks like the hep2o system.. I could well be wrong, But if your making alterations as long as you use the same inserts as the fittings then all will be ok so the make doesn't really matter

It was an assumption on the photo you provided and mentioning there were no markings on the fitting (old hep2o fittings didn't have the brand printed on it either) also the metal insert and grab ring looks like the hep2o system.. I could well be wrong, But if your making alterations as long as you use the same inserts as the fittings then all will be ok so the make doesn't really matter

1. I didn't provide the photo
2. All Hep2o fittings have either Hepworth or Hep2o moulded onto the cap
3. All early "O" ring first fittings and all metal grab ring, plastic spacer washer and O ring (Polyplumb still do)
4. Mixing components / pipe / fittings will invalidate any warranty.
5. Never make assumptions.

+1 for old Hep2o, seen plenty of it to know, and some of it doesn't have markings on it. if you're worried use the same insert and a compression fitting.
as for the stopcock, you might be best turning off the water in the street and cutting the lead below the 'bulge' and using a lead lock, short bit of pipe and a new stock cock

Don't recognise the fitting, most have a name moulded on the cap (Bartol Acorn, Hep2o etc) if there's no makers name on it then it's probably a Chinese import or similar.
That fitting is a "O" ring first type and uses an all metal grab ring that cannot be reused once it has been installed, a new grab ring is required that is a problem if you don't know what make it is.
The copper looks fairly new, have you installed it into the fitting ? If so did you renew the grab ring, it's dangerous to mix internal components from different manufacturers.

As for the stopcock it's got a union connector on the outlet, possibly 3/4" BSP but who knows, personally I would either get rid of the lead main and replace with MDPE if not practical fit another stopcock on the outlet side rather than risk disturbing the 60+ year old one, unless you can turn the water off in the street and put a leadloc on.

you can get them off easily, just cut the pipe above it and pull it up and off, (it only goes one way) then re-assemble the fitting and use it again

+1 for old Hep2o, seen plenty of it to know, and some of it doesn't have markings on it. if you're worried use the same insert and a compression fitting.
as for the stopcock, you might be best turning off the water in the street and cutting the lead below the 'bulge' and using a lead lock, short bit of pipe and a new stock cock

What you actually mean is "it's grey so it could possibly be Hep2o" nobody can possibly know for certain from those photographs what make it is.

All Hep2o pipe has laser printed markings along its length giving information about when and where it was made and also has depth insertion marks (h and v) required as part of BS and ISO, the printing on standard pipe is blue or black and barrier pipe is red.

you can get them off easily, just cut the pipe above it and pull it up and off, (it only goes one way) then re-assemble the fitting and use it again

They are designed for one use only, certainly wouldn't risk it myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back