Plug holding blind up has come up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brown plug has come out which holds blinds up. How do I repair this?
IMG-20180222-WA0002.jpg

Sponsored Links
As above or drill a new hole a few inches along. or you can buy a 2 part tape that you mix, squeeze in the hole & screw into it.
Depends on your diy skill set.

As above or drill a new hole a few inches along. or you can buy a 2 part tape that you mix, squeeze in the hole & screw into it.
Depends on your diy skill set.

Got a link for that stuff so i have an idea of what u mean?

Sponsored Links
I don't think the colour is anything to go by. Take it out and buy a bigger one.

Fatter screw won't help.

Purple Road,
Got a link for that stuff so i have an idea of what u mean?
I think they mean this:
Polycell Plug & Fix Polyfilla
http://www.polycell.co.uk/product/polycell-plug-fix-polyfilla/

or this
Fischer Wet 'n' Fix Repair Pads
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Fischer-Wet-'n'-Fix-Repair-Pads---Pack-of-10/p/511151

However, I have always bodged it by filling hole with "no more nails" and pushing in new Rawl Plug,
Then let no more nails dry overnight and re-screw into Rawl Plug.

SFK

Last edited:
I bet that clip on the top of blind will slide along. So slide it along 3 inches, re-drill and plug.

Is it a solid surface, or hollow plasterboard? If plasterboard, there are special fixings. Normal plugs are no good in plasterboard if they have to support any weight.

If it's a solid surface, you can use Fischer Wet 'N' Fix to bulk out the original plug if you want to use the original hole.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Fischer-We...VqLvtCh0O2wnVEAQYAyABEgKU0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
I actually did a couple of days working with a blinds fitter. I remember the lintels can be so hard only an sds would drill in or if metal use self tappers. How do u know if its metal or hard lintel? I guess the lintel is surrounded by plasterboardp is that right?

Last edited:
How do u know if its metal or hard lintel?

with practice you may recognise the noise the drill makes when it hits the lintel.

However, if you examine the drill tip, you will either see grey concrete dust, or tiny shavings of steel or paint from a metal one.

You can actually use plasplugs in a steel lintel, but it might not be the best method. You have to drill a hole that will be a close fit even when the screw expands the plug. HSS drills for steel are usually black; masonry drills are usually silver.

Some steel lintels may have expanded metal welded to them so the plaster or render grips. They do not need plasterboard. IME they are prone to cracking the plaster at the ends though; I assume due to thermal expansion. Reinforced concrete lintels do not have to have plasterboard either.

I find steel lintels, properly drilled and with a long, correct-fitting screw, give the strongest and most dependable fixing. It will not come loose, even with the heaviest curtains and years of use.

I don't like hanging blinds or curtains off plasterboard, it is fundamentally weak.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back