Plugging the Oven In.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just acquired a new flat and cooker. Having a few doubts on how to wire in the oven. Gas has already been done (by a proper gas engineer before the self righteous chip in), and I just need to sort the electrics now.

I have a 32A fuse and control unit already in the kitchen (10.5KW cooker), so I just need to wire it up. Pictures below. Simply need to know which wires go where. I've already switched off the power at the fusebox, and removed the relevant fuse.

5mkWZmT.jpg

DIlS4CA.jpg

1OOmAFk.jpg

fiQtaYx.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Just acquired a new flat and cooker. Having a few doubts on how to wire in the oven. Gas has already been done (by a proper gas engineer before the self righteous chip in), and I just need to sort the electrics now.

I have a 32A fuse and control unit already in the kitchen (10.5KW cooker), so I just need to wire it up. Pictures below. Simply need to know which wires go where. I've already switched off the power at the fusebox, and removed the relevant fuse.
The self righteous are just looking after yours and others safety.

Check out the label and the bit about competent person - is that you?
If so then for wiring follow the instructions that came with the oven.
If you don't understand these instructions perhaps 'competent person' is not you.

The self righteous are just looking after yours and others safety.

Check out the label and the bit about competent person - is that you?
If so then for wiring follow the instructions that came with the oven.
If you don't understand these instructions perhaps 'competent person' is not you.

Only a fool is too proud to ask for assistance when unsure. (and you never become competent if you keep letting others do everything for you)

As I said, I get the jist. 10.5KWh is fine @ 32W due to diversity. brown live, blue neutral, unshielded earth.

cut to 6.5cm, expose 1cm, install neutral wire in the middle. I THINK grey goes left, and blue right, but I'm making sure :) ('to keep myself and others safe')

(ps. not wanting to get into a language argument but the 'self righteous' would likely indicate the assumption that I did the gas myself, instead of asking/assuming it was done by the gas man)

Thanks for the help :)

My comments about the manufacturers instructions are important and must be followed.
Hence it should tell you what size cable to use for this particular oven.
What type of cable you should use - heat resistant?
What size MCB is required.
Whether there is an RCD requirement.

Provided the above is followed..
Normal convention is brown (not grey) goes to the Live terminal and Blue goes to the Neutral terminal with a sleeved cpc (earth) to the earth terminal.
Repeat same for the cooker connection unit.

Ps that gas pipe may get in the way of the oven and could be damaged by its presence.

Sponsored Links
As I said, I get the jist. 10.5KWh is fine @ 32W due to diversity. brown live, blue neutral, unshielded earth.

cut to 6.5cm, expose 1cm, install neutral wire in the middle. I THINK grey goes left, and blue right, but I'm making sure :) ('to keep myself and others safe')
You of course meant Brown left. Other than that, what other information could anyone possibly want? It's all there on the instruction label.

(ps. not wanting to get into a language argument but the 'self righteous' would likely indicate the assumption that I did the gas myself, instead of asking/assuming it was done by the gas man)
As the 'gas man' has apparently failed to fit any stability bracket or chain, it's not surprising that people would think you fitted it yourself.
That fitting against the wall where the hose connects doesn't look right either.

As the 'gas man' has apparently failed to fit any stability bracket or chain, it's not surprising that people would think you fitted it yourself.
That fitting against the wall where the hose connects doesn't look right either.

Reading/looking up the other stuff but I actually asked about why it doesn't need a chain/bracket. The guy answered that because it's a narrow space a chain isn't required. From what I've read up that's incorrect, but at the end of the day he's the 'qualified gas man' the housing association [that manage the block where i bought the flat] sent out and I've just googled it.

With regards to the electrics, would it be ok if I wired it up and took a picture for somebody to okay before turning the power on? :D

My comments about the manufacturers instructions are important and must be followed.
Hence it should tell you what size cable to use for this particular oven.
What type of cable you should use - heat resistant?
What size MCB is required.
Whether there is an RCD requirement.

Provided the above is followed..
Normal convention is brown (not grey) goes to the Live terminal and Blue goes to the Neutral terminal with a sleeved cpc (earth) to the earth terminal.
Repeat same for the cooker connection unit.

Ps that gas pipe may get in the way of the oven and could be damaged by its presence.

The cable is provided with and attached to the oven, so I'm assuming it's the right one.

Would it be ok/legal/sensible to chain the gas pipe up myself, or should I call the gas company again?

With regards to the electrics, would it be ok if I wired it up and took a picture for somebody to okay before turning the power on? :D

What size cable are you using?
Is it heat resistant?
MCB RCD requirements etc.

Given your lack of information no one in the their right mind would give you the go ahead from a picture. We would want to test the circuit first dead before we tested it live.

You might find that the Managers of your flat have a condition of service that the cooker must be fitted by a qualified (competent person) electrician.

One last image regarding the gas (don't really want to derail the topic)

ZzgHD1s.jpg

Shouldn't that incoming gas connector be screwed to the wall....?

What size cable are you using?
Is it heat resistant?
MCB RCD requirements etc.

Given your lack of information no one in the their right mind would give you the go ahead from a picture. We would want to test the circuit first dead before we tested it live.

You might find that the Managers of your flat have a condition of service that the cooker must be fitted by a qualified (competent person) electrician.

10mm. (It's a 10.5KW Oven)
Yes.
RCD is required. As you can see from the 4th pic, there's a 13A socket attached to the CCU.

Honestly it seems like you're asking questions to be obtuse rather than attempting to help. You can see from the provided pictures and information in the OP the answers to all the questions you asked.

How do I test the circuit dead?

I have a free-standing cooker (with an eye-level grill, at that), and no chain.

Not once has it ever hinted at toppling over, and not once have I ever pulled it out for cleaning and forgotten to disconnect the gas pipe.

Apparently you need a chain for range cookers so big they probably need a forklift to move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back