Plugs already included with appliances

Well I`m glad I never mentioned those electric fires with wire wound bare to touch elements, quite common back in the day and not difficult to touch with your hand. If it was glowing red hot it might deter you but if only recently energised you might not see/fell the hotness then touch the live element, not good by todays standards but plenty of the around back in the day and I do not remember piles of dead bodies littering the streets, just a few of them for the council to sweep up weekly. So no harm done.

Seriously though, looking back just a few years might amaze some folk about the practices and protections we used to have (or not have) in very recent history. Nowadays you have to be even more determined to actually come to any harm (back in the days of common sense)
Ours was a ~12" diameter polished aluminium reflector on a cast iron bracket, appears to be designed to be screwed to the wall but ours was always stood on the floor. in the middle a ceramic edison screw holder and 'bulb' somewhat like this
1711664571559.png
but never a hint of any guard and of course a frayed cotton twitsed 2 core flex on 2 pin 5A plug. Replacement elements were available to wind onto the former way into the noughties, I recall getting one around 1975-80 for the purpose and using the heater in the garage when working on my car while rebuilding an engine very late 70's possibly into 80's and another element around 2008-10 to make a dummy loudspeaker load.

EDIT: I recall dad relighting his cigar on it on a regular basis while working in the garage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back