Plugs already included with appliances

As I said earlier, I can't find anything about requring fitted plugs in the 1987 version of the plugs and sockets safety regulations, only in the 1994 version and my personal memory is that "fitted plugs" were something that came in as I was growing up.
Ah yes, I'd forgotten that - so maybe it wasn't required during the 80s.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yes perhaps so.
Like I said, I wrongly thought the legal requirement was much earlier.
You seem to often get the situation like that.
some manufacturers and some shops start to provide and fit the plug before it gets sold, others follow suit then before you know it, it becomes common practice but the legal requirement comes much later.
It`s often how goods "evolve" , if we look at cars/computers/alarm systems/washing machines/TVs etc etc etc they become virtually unrecognisable from the goods of yesteryear and certain things become "expected" .

I remember not long ago, a guy showing off his mobile phone because it not only had speech and text messages but it actually had a camera built in, wow, mind blowing

Sponsored Links
Well I`m glad I never mentioned those electric fires with wire wound bare to touch elements, quite common back in the day and not difficult to touch with your hand. If it was glowing red hot it might deter you but if only recently energised you might not see/fell the hotness then touch the live element, not good by todays standards but plenty of the around back in the day and I do not remember piles of dead bodies littering the streets, just a few of them for the council to sweep up weekly. So no harm done.

Seriously though, looking back just a few years might amaze some folk about the practices and protections we used to have (or not have) in very recent history. Nowadays you have to be even more determined to actually come to any harm (back in the days of common sense)

I remember not long ago, a guy showing off his mobile phone because it not only had speech and text messages but it actually had a camera built in, wow, mind blowing

That must have been quite a long time ago. My 2002 Nokia 7650 had a rear facing camera and colour screen. My next phone, the HTC BlueAngel (2003/4) had a colour 3.5" touchscreen and could record video. By the time the iPhone was released, I had a phone with a 5" touchscreen, front and rear facing cameras. Specification wise, it made the iphone look like a toy.

Depends how you see as quite long/not long ago, the older you get (like me) the longer you perceive as not long ago, if a lot of your childhood had something different to nowadays you might declare it as not that long ago but less than a third of your adult life ago as fairly recent. Some of you might not be old enough to remember mobile phones that did not take pics but to me I can remember lots of phones before that "new" type.

Well I`m glad I never mentioned those electric fires with wire wound bare to touch elements, quite common back in the day ...
Indeed -I was brought upon them -and it's actually not long ago that I saw one still in service (very elderly relative :) ).
Seriously though, looking back just a few years might amaze some folk about the practices and protections we used to have (or not have) in very recent history. Nowadays you have to be even more determined to actually come to any harm (back in the days of common sense)
Quite so. As I say so often, the accepted practices back then are no more dangerous today than they were 'accepted' in the past - but 'our' view as to what degree of 'risk'/danger is acceptable has changed dramatically within my lifetime to date!

Kind Regards, John

Add the ethos that folk think it is up to everyone else, government etc to protect and not their own job to protect themselves! How would such folks have survived years ago? not very well

Add the ethos that folk think it is up to everyone else, government etc to protect and not their own job to protect themselves! How would such folks have survived years ago? not very well
Quite so. I know that the word 'Nany' gets thrown about a lot, but I personally feel that she us too frequently active!

And,of course, there is a potentially serious downside to all this - in that believe that one is enjoying all this 'imposed protection' can lad to complacency, hence actually putting them at increased risk. I've previously mentioned examples of people who say that they "don't have to drive so carefully" because of ABS, or that they "don't need to be so careful when playing with things electrical" because of RCDs - and they are but two examples.

Kind Regards, John

Quite so. I know that the word 'Nany' gets thrown about a lot, but I personally feel that she us too frequently active!

And,of course, there is a potentially serious downside to all this - in that believe that one is enjoying all this 'imposed protection' can lad to complacency, hence actually putting them at increased risk. I've previously mentioned examples of people who say that they "don't have to drive so carefully" because of ABS, or that they "don't need to be so careful when playing with things electrical" because of RCDs - and they are but two examples.

Kind Regards, John
Doesn't ABS simply mean you don't have the same braking ability?

Doesn't ABS simply mean you don't have the same braking ability?
Well, if it works as intended, t should mean that one doesn't have the 'ability' to brake so hard that the car skids. Would you prefer to retain your ability to make the car skid?

I seem to to remember that simply standing on the brakes without ABS operational will have you skid to a stop in a shorter distance than you'd stop with ABS preventing the skid. ABS gives you the ability to maintain directional control over slightly increased braking distances, which in most cases proves to be a worthwhile trade-off, however there is likely edge cases out there where it is not.

Getting back to the point of the thread though, ABS does what a skilled driver can do to some extent manually, and in a way insulates us from what is going on, if you look more at electronic stability controls, there are some cars out there with so good systems that they can be thrown round corners with the electronic bits all doing what they do to maintain control for the driver who is unaware of how hard he is pushing the car, until they push through the envelope of what phyics allows and the systems suddenly can't help any further which supprises the driver because it feels like a sudden drop off because they were unaware of how much work the systems were doing before hand....

Well I`m glad I never mentioned those electric fires with wire wound bare to touch elements, quite common back in the day and not difficult to touch with your hand. If it was glowing red hot it might deter you but if only recently energised you might not see/fell the hotness then touch the live element, not good by todays standards but plenty of the around back in the day and I do not remember piles of dead bodies littering the streets, just a few of them for the council to sweep up weekly. So no harm done.

I have scars on my hand, and a finger that will not straighten because of those electric bar fires.

I was about four when I grabbed the red/orange bar.

I spent weeks having skin grafts on my hand.

I for one am glad that we have regulations that try to protect both stupid people and children.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back