Plugs already included with appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone remember the days when things electrical were commonly sold without a plug and you fitted your own.
When did it become commonplace to find them already included.
When did it become mandatory for them to be already fitted.

The reasons I am asking is because my generation folks often knew how to fit a plug and often it was taught in schools too.
I`m not suggesting they were always fitted properly or selected with care, especially fuse size but it was a pretty common practice.
Later generations of folks became less aware.

I would be grateful for any opinions and any date facts too.

Sponsored Links
Remember buying a fridge in the mid 1980's and it was extra to have a plug fitted.

Wiki suggests that it was mandatory to have them fitted from 1987

1994 supersedes the 1987 (not sure of the change, havent read it all , dont intend to)

my children were taught how to fit a plug at school in the 90's
no idea whats taught today - seems to be in the science curriculum but no idea what happens in reality these days

Last edited:

1994 supersedes the 1987

Yes, following campaigns from BBC watchdog and the Mail on Sunday in the early 90's - I well remember the Mail reporting victory - don't judge me, I was only young and it's what my parents bought (the cartoon pull-out was great) :)

Sponsored Links
seen a few posts recently on the forums, here , i think , where items have been sold via various online outlets without the correct UK plug or adapter

I wondering what was common practice until around what date in the first instance - plug fitted or fit your own. Then later what actually become law then later we know that eventually sleeved pins came in too, I particularly remember the unsleeved pins being very common.

It seems the plug or adaptor needs to be fixed, so these 1711442184853.pngare not permitted, but these
1711442264757.png
are yet both are as safe as each other. These Adaptors.JPGForeign-Plugs2.JPG all do the same job, but only one is fused, and non grip the plug firmly and most mean one can't close the water resistant lid on outside sockets 1711442615850.pngso there is a need for the proper plug to be fitted. I remember my daughter (in her 40's now) causing a stir at school as she told the teacher she had got it wrong, my dad says you work out fuse size like this. At the time I would fit 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 or 13 amp fuses depending on the power of the equipment, today in the main it is 3 or 13 amp which is more to do with the cable fitted.

And this is the problem, we as electricians know with fixed equipment the manufacturer can stipulate fuse size, but with portable it is either 3 or 13 depending on cable used, to try to teach children what should be done safely is going to be hard. I still use the adaptor on the right which has no fuse, to plug my radio into, it itself is plugged into an extension lead which is fused and is in my bedroom which regulations say no one else should enter and use my equipment with out me being present unless also they have a licence.

The radio came with a USA plug which I don't really want to change. I have not been to a radio rally in years, and the nearest radio shop is likely Bristol or Liverpool about equal distance, so when I do want equipment I use the internet, I can buy radios far cheaper from internet the same applies with a lot of electrical equipment. And often it does come with the wrong plug on it.

To push for correct plug will likely mean customs will open more items, and it is not the customs duty but the Post Office charges for handling items which have been intercepted by customs. £1 customs duty but £12 handling charge. We don't want to return to this
1711443996618.png
these 1711444112976.png work better than matches to hold the shutters open and connect wires another good reason why they should be banned they are fatally flawed they have been banned from NHS premises, but are still used at my doctors.

I am indeed grateful to all the answers so far, it even surprised me slightly.
This is the result of a discussion last night with someone my own age, they held the view that all appliances always had plugs already fitted when you bought them.
I disagreed, my memory was that it was pretty common for folk to fit their own but often the shop would fit you one for a charge and would sometimes "include it in the price" also, some of the better manufacturers would supply them with plugs already fitted but no all did and it was not yet a legal requirement.
Of course many people would buy second hand goods too so naturally some would already have plugs fitted although at other times folk would remove "their plug" from the appliance in order to fit it on their new replacement appliance.

My guess was that in the 60s and 70s it was new goods did not have them fitted as standard but a few did and furthermore the shop would often fit one for you but people often bought the plug separately and fit it themselves or ask a knowledgeable friend to do it.
It was not unusual to see badly fitted plugs. The actual requirement to supply with a plug fitted came much later.

I must admit though, the date of the changes actually came about far later than I had realised.

I remember once remarking to a second hand vacuum cleaner seller that they should not be selling, even second hand, vacs with unsleeved pins and their reply was "Well we received them like that!" I did advise them to cut such plugs off and either fit a proper one or leave it without one so the buyer could fit their own.

It is difficult to imagine these days an appliance intended for domestic use being supplied as "Fit your own plug".

Way back when I were a lad the BS 1363 13A plug was just one of many alternative standards.

So one needed to fit the correct plug for the dwelling or other location.

My childhood Council house had the Dorman & Smith plugs with screw-in fuse/live pins. That house was finally updated/rewired in the 80s I think to BS 1363.

At University of Nottingham in the early 70s they used Wylex in 2A, 5A and 13A form (that prevented larger current plugs being inserted in the lower current sockets by pin size variation) in many buildings (Halls of Residence, Student Union Building etc.,.).

BBC used Walsall gauge plugs/sockets for technical/clean earth kit at one time.

1994 supersedes the 1987 (not sure of the change, havent read it all , dont intend to)
I can't find anything about fitted plugs in the 1987 version of the regulations, only in the 1994 version.

This also fits with my own memory. I was born in 1985 and I remember the requirement for fitted plugs coming in. If it had come in in 1987 I don't think I would remember it.

It is difficult to imagine these days an appliance intended for domestic use being supplied as "Fit your own plug".
I've seen cooker hood manufacturers say their equipment must be hard wired, even though there is no good reason for that. Presumablly in an attempt to get around the plugs and sockets safety regulations.

Also, since the introduction of LEDs lots of LED lighting ships with a flex tail but no plug. On some of those lights the flex tail is short enough that using a plug will not be practical but in other cases it's plenty long enough that you could reasonably use it with a plug.

There is also the reality of products being shipped into the UK with what appear to be 13A plugs but NO fuses or fuse holder .......

Way back when I were a lad the BS 1363 13A plug was just one of many alternative standards.
So one needed to fit the correct plug for the dwelling or other location.

Not only did the type of plug vary, but so did the supplied mains voltage. Some appliances had to be adjusted for the local voltage, and the mains lamps had to be bought to match that local voltage. From memory, we originally had a 210v supply, when I was growing up.

Most plugs are not only fitted these days, but they are moulded on - much better.

There is also the reality of products being shipped into the UK with what appear to be 13A plugs but NO fuses or fuse holder .......
I blame the advent of Fleabay etc.
In fact since Fleabay my perception is that there is such an awful lot of harmful/substandard stuff about that trading standards cant keep up.
My perception is that Amazon does seem better in these respects.
However there is always a risk in each case and it`s still possible for each to sell good or bad stuff too, just like in the high street and on market stalls too. Caveat Emptor should still be the battlecry of every shopper and these days more so than ever before.

During the 50s 60s 70s stuff was decent quality but certainly expensive in comparison, a lot said we "over-engineered" a lot and perhaps they were right quite often. Today things tend to be a lot cheaper these days but often quality/longevity suffers too much.

To be fair, manufacturers and sellers often have to engage in a race to the bottom (both for prices and quality) and they need to to survive. Some folk will always go straight to the bottom line for prices, I often managed to escape such customers because I refused to join in a race to the bottom but I could understand some contractors just wanting to survive.

Anyway, back to the plot, once again folks thanks for your info, like I said even surprised me.

PS - As said before, I do think that when plugs are sold to the public they should be minus the fuses, that way the customer has to ask for one and might get some guidance from a theoretically knowledgeable shopkeeper so might end up with the correct fuse. Even just the choice of a 3 or a 13 might be a start, without it everybody (nearly) tends to buy a 13A plug with a 13A fuse in it thinking it`s the only choice/only size.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back