Plugs already included with appliances

Well, if it works as intended, t should mean that one doesn't have the 'ability' to brake so hard that the car skids. Would you prefer to retain your ability to make the car skid?
I'd prefer to retain braking ability when going down a steep hill with 2 wheels on mud and the other 2 are on a dry asphalt surface and a **** in a 4WD hurtling up the road without any intention of pulling over.

Sponsored Links
I seem to to remember that simply standing on the brakes without ABS operational will have you skid to a stop in a shorter distance than you'd stop with ABS preventing the skid. ABS gives you the ability to maintain directional control over slightly increased braking distances, which in most cases proves to be a worthwhile trade-off, however there is likely edge cases out there where it is not.

Getting back to the point of the thread though, ABS does what a skilled driver can do to some extent manually, and in a way insulates us from what is going on, if you look more at electronic stability controls, there are some cars out there with so good systems that they can be thrown round corners with the electronic bits all doing what they do to maintain control for the driver who is unaware of how hard he is pushing the car, until they push through the envelope of what phyics allows and the systems suddenly can't help any further which supprises the driver because it feels like a sudden drop off because they were unaware of how much work the systems were doing before hand....
When ABS first appeared, police vehicles had it disabled as it caused problems for them causing collisions during car chases

Well I`m glad I never mentioned those electric fires with wire wound bare to touch elements, quite common back in the day and not difficult to touch with your hand. If it was glowing red hot it might deter you but if only recently energised you might not see/fell the hotness then touch the live element, not good by todays standards but plenty of the around back in the day and I do not remember piles of dead bodies littering the streets, just a few of them for the council to sweep up weekly. So no harm done.

We had one of those, I remember it well. My parents bought it to overcome the delay between lighting the coal fire, and it producing some warmth - we only had a coal fire for heating at the time. It had a chrome dish reflector, two almost bare bars, with three separate, wide, U shaped sprung metal 'safety' bars across the front, and a single clunky switch at the back, to select 1 or 2 bars/ 1 or 2Kw, fitted with a 2pin 5amp plug. Safety, what's that?

I even remember the first time we used it - we had just come home from us being taken to a pantomime. No fire lit, the house was freezing cold, so the electric fire was plugged in temporarily. The dog was so glad to see us home, it dragged me round the living room, by then, wearing my pj's.

And,of course, there is a potentially serious downside to all this - in that believe that one is enjoying all this 'imposed protection' can lad to complacency, hence actually putting them at increased risk. I've previously mentioned examples of people who say that they "don't have to drive so carefully" because of ABS, or that they "don't need to be so careful when playing with things electrical" because of RCDs - and they are but two examples.

They are great as a fallback, but personally - I by default, always worked live, and very carefully and still do. Treat everything as live, and you cannot get caught out.

Sponsored Links
I seem to to remember that simply standing on the brakes without ABS operational will have you skid to a stop in a shorter distance than you'd stop with ABS preventing the skid.
I think that's true but,as you go on to say ...
ABS gives you the ability to maintain directional control over slightly increased braking distances,
... which, I imagine is, on balance, the lesser of the evils. Stopping in a shorter distance (without ABS) is not really a 'benefit' if the skid (without directional control) causes one to collide with something (or falling into a ditch, or whatever) ;)

When ABS first appeared, police vehicles had it disabled as it caused problems for them causing collisions during car chases
Yes, I think that was the case, although I don't know whether it remains the case. Similarly, I think they used to (and maybe still do) have the power steering disabled).

However, both of those 'undoings' relate to an extreme style of driving which one hopes is not practised by ordinary motorists :)

I have scars on my hand, and a finger that will not straighten because of those electric bar fires.

I was about four when I grabbed the red/orange bar.

I spent weeks having skin grafts on my hand.

I for one am glad that we have regulations that try to protect both stupid people and children.

I was around the same age, and following a bath in front of the living room coal fire, and naked, I briefly sat on the hot chrome shelf thing, in front of the fire. My parents quickly bought a fireguard after that, but I wore the stripes for a long time after.

They are great as a fallback, but personally - I by default, always worked live, and very carefully and still do. Treat everything as live, and you cannot get caught out.
That may well be true, but I'm sure that at least some people will be 'less careful' if they believe that something is 'protecting them'.

We see that, for example, with vaccines,none of which is "100% effective" in preventing infection- yet many people (even the e'very vulnerable" feel that the fact that they have received vaccine means that they do not need to take even simple/basic precautions to to reduce their exposure to very 'high risk' situations.

My first with ABS, was the Granada, which I deliberately chose, after a very scary incident. I was returning home one evening in my then Ventura, came over the .hill to descend into the village, and it was a sheet of black ice. The car slid completely out of control, down most of the hill, luckily hitting nothing, and coming to a gentle rest at the bottom, still on the road.

In all the years since, I have never triggered the ABS in anger, only whilst deliberately provoking it, to ensure it works, on snow. On snow, I think ABS increases your braking distance, in as much as without it, you can build up a wedge of snow ahead of the tyre, to slow you, but not with ABS.

My first with ABS, was the Granada, which I deliberately chose, after a very scary incident. I was returning home one evening in my then Ventura, came over the .hill to descend into the village, and it was a sheet of black ice. The car slid completely out of control, down most of the hill, luckily hitting nothing, and coming to a gentle rest at the bottom, still on the road.
I'm not sure that ABS would have helped in that situation, would it? All ABS can do is to reduce/prevent sliding/skidding as a result of excessive braking (by 'relaxing' that braking) . If one is sliding down a sheet of black ice" (without, at last initially, any braking at all), I can't really see how ABS could help?

Yeah in a situation where no wheels have traction even with the brakes off them ABS is not able to do a thing, however I suppose there might be a a point where one or more of the wheels is able to regain traction if only the brakes were eased up a little

We see that, for example, with vaccines,none of which is "100% effective" in preventing infection- yet many people (even the e'very vulnerable" feel that the fact that they have received vaccine means that they do not need to take even simple/basic precautions to to reduce their exposure to very 'high risk' situations.
Reminds me of having three wisdom teeth out in hospital. I told nurse I thought I had an infection in the socket , "You can`t have! you are on antibiotics" , later the doc came around and said I had an infection, I repeated her phrase "Who told you that?" he asked, I pointed to her and he gave her the dirtiest look. LOL.

Yeah in a situation where no wheels have traction even with the brakes off them ABS is not able to do a thing, however I suppose there might be a a point where one or more of the wheels is able to regain traction if only the brakes were eased up a little
Yes, but as I implied, only if there is some braking that can be eased.

When the vehicle first starts sliding down a "sheet of black ice", there is presumably no braking yet applied (so none to 'ease') and,even if one (inappropriately, but understandable) responds to the situation by attempting to brake, ABS will still not be able to do anything, if none of the wheels had traction even before the braking started?

... I told nurse I thought I had an infection in the socket , "You can`t have! you are on antibiotics"
Oh dear!

Many people not only have, but die as a result of, bacterial infections and, presuming they had been receiving medical care, virtually all will be full of antibiotics at the time of their death!

A variant of this, from the patient rather than a health care professional, is along the lines of "I cannot possibly be pregnant because of ...." :)

Kind REegards, John

Not only that John but the Dr told me I needed strong pain killers and I needed a sick note for a week (prior self certification came in) and so when the second doc did the rounds in the afternoon I asked him for a weeks sick note. "Why do you need a sick note on discharge ?" I replied "because if I go back to work I will collapse!" , "Oh and who says That you will collapse?" , "Your Dad!" the second Doc was the son of the first doc, he gave me as sick note after that conversation> LOL.
It wasn`t funny though it was a real humdinger of a excruciating throbbing pain, I lost a few nights sleep with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back