Plumber flooded loft

So in 2018. I had athe old steel tank chamged in loft by Dyno rod. Unlucky for me when Dyno changed tank to new plastic one. Then moved the old one on the joists. The sediment from the old tank in 2018 went through ceiling below. This was all fixed appropriately . And all well. Dyno paid for the works ( BG)

The plumber who changed ball valve in February 2024 has found my topic online from 2018. And told me it seems I had a leak previously. So I am not getting a penny

He thinks a leak from.Britis Gas in 2018 means him flooding my loft in 2024 means he is nor liable for not tighting his nut up on ball valve.

What's your thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
What sort of plumber walks away from a job without putting on the water and carefull checking for leaks? Is the plumber claiming that the job was leak free when he left it and thus implying that something else must have happened that is not down to him?
Either way, I doubt you'll get a good repair job from this person and it might be best, though annoying, to get in someone else to put matters right.

What sort of plumber walks away from a job without putting on the water and carefull checking for leaks? Is the plumber claiming that the job was leak free when he left it and thus implying that something else must have happened that is not down to him?
Either way, I doubt you'll get a good repair job from this person and it might be best, though annoying, to get in someone else to put matters right.

He hasn't said anything. He knows the nut wasn't tight and ptfe.

He told me he would pay for plastering and do the painting himself. However he doesn't turn up but continues to go on other jobs he gets more money from.

Tennant has been emptying room and he doesn't go and cannot say 100% when he will.

Ended up in getting told I'm not getting paid for plastering or the painting now. As I have had to pay a decorator.

I asked him what is he trying to say and does he not now believe he is liable but he is now stonewalling.

Sponsored Links
@diycooper

Did you do that?

No I have mot rang them. As tbh the cost of repair the plastering and paint is in all honesty going to be £180 for plastering. £120 for ceiling painting. So £300. I think my excess is £350

Plus my insurance would then go up so doesn't seen like it's the way to go.

He hasn't said anything. He knows the nut wasn't tight and ptfe.

He told me he would pay for plastering and do the painting himself. However he doesn't turn up but continues to go on other jobs he gets more money from.

Tennant has been emptying room and he doesn't go and cannot say 100% when he will.

Ended up in getting told I'm not getting paid for plastering or the painting now. As I have had to pay a decorator.

I asked him what is he trying to say and does he not now believe he is liable but he is now stonewalling.

I am a decorator, my day rate is £200 per day.

A plumber earns far more than that per day. Why would he even consider painting it himself?

I would be tempted to tell him that you will post his details here and see how he reacts, This site is ranked pretty highly on Google.

How did you find him in the first place? Was it one of those Checka type sites? Does he have a VAT number on his invoices? And if he does, have you checked if he is really VAT registered?

I don't want to malign the guy, I don't know him, nor do I know you.

He is more than welcome to defend himself here. On the balance of probability, he is aware that this thread exists. In the absence of him defending himself, it is likely that most of us will side with you.

I am a decorator, my day rate is £200 per day.

A plumber earns far more than that per day. Why would he even consider painting it himself?

I would be tempted to tell him that you will post his details here and see how he reacts, This site is ranked pretty highly on Google.

How did you find him in the first place? Was it one of those Checka type sites? Does he have a VAT number on his invoices? And if he does, have you checked if he is really VAT registered?

I don't want to malign the guy, I don't know him, nor do I know you.

He is more than welcome to defend himself here. On the balance of probability, he is aware that this thread exists. In the absence of him defending himself, it is likely that most of us will side with you.

I was thinking exactly the same that he would probably loose more by painting it himself. I believe the costs I have got are very cheap and fair.

The costs to repair insulation. And run dehumidifier. And the water also went down into another bedroom

I was trying to work with him to get the main bedroom done. As there is a young girl in there with a new born baby.

I do not think he is to concerned over that .

I am going to tell him about this forum topic now.

See if he wants to comment his side here.

Last edited:

Maybe he's not a plumber at all and just a plumberalike. Unfortunately they are everywhere.

Homeowners insurance takes president
Oh well, if they have the skills to bypass the secret service and do that, call 'em in; one awkward plumber will have no chance!

“I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money.."

Just to mention that it's unlikely that PTFE is required at that connection anyway - normally it's a fibre washer.

What difference does it make if there was a previous leak, if the leak by the plumber's carelessness caused the same damage anyway?

What difference does it make if there was a previous leak, if the leak by the plumber's carelessness caused the same damage anyway?
That's exactly right. He's there to put things right and make you aware of any future problems.

Some people get up in the morning to do a day's work to get some money.

Some earn their money.

Last edited:
Just to mention that it's unlikely that PTFE is required at that connection anyway - normally it's a fibre washer.
and if the washers have got lost in the plumber's box he'd use hemp+paste;)

It makes no difference. He just using it as a excuse to get out of paying for anything. .

New ceiling boarded and skimmed in and getting painted today. Next 2 coats of paint tomorrow.

He thinks this repair work is now not his to pay for due to a previous leak in 2018 what was fully repaired.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_233019_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_233019_WhatsApp.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 24
So the plumber has decided to block me . With me showing him proff of his damage and works .

I rang him off another phone and he answered then when knew it was me . Guess what. He put it down.

So I feel its fair game to advertise him here. For all to see who not to use. As if he floods your house. He will leak you high and well wet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310_140233_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_140233_WhatsApp.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back