Plumber struggling with vr66 install vaillant

Ok vr65 manual extract

Attachments

• IMG_8637.PNG
    IMG_8637.PNG
    217.3 KB · Views: 1,116
Sponsored Links
Could you get that cofirmation in writing ?. If Vaillant are using standard ebus physical layer then polarity does matter and there should a fault code for cross polarity on the ebus. A typical ebus to micro-processor interface for data ( receive / transmit ) and power for the device ( 5 volt from IC3 )
View attachment 116734
I'm speaking with vaillant advance engineer later today. Happy to ask him anything.

Sponsored Links
Ok vr65 manual extract

I'm speaking with vaillant advance engineer later today. Happy to ask him anything.

A integral bridge rectifier between ebus terminals and ebus interfacing ciruits in bus powered slave modules would allow the data to pass error free even when the polarity along the ebus was switched. This is possible as the mark and space voltages on ebus are high enough that the added volt drop across the bridge rectifier would not significantly affect the data.

logical 0 = 9–12 volt.
logical 1 = 15–24 volt
referenced to the 0 volt of the supply ( master ) on the ebus.

A reverse polarity connection to a slave with a local power supply and / or connections to other equipment would load the ebus+ with capacity to ground which would affect the shape of the data waveform and may lead to data corruption.

Opto isolation between the ebus interface ( bus powered ) and the slave's micro-processor ( local powered ) is the optimum design to remove resrictions on what modules can be connected to the ebus before data transmission become unreliable.

A integral bridge rectifier between ebus terminals and ebus interfacing ciruits in bus powered slave modules would allow the data to pass error free even when the polarity along the ebus was switched. This is possible as the mark and space voltages on ebus are high enough that the added volt drop across the bridge rectifier would not significantly affect the data.

logical 0 = 9–12 volt.
logical 1 = 15–24 volt
referenced to the 0 volt of the supply ( master ) on the ebus.

A reverse polarity connection to a slave with a local power supply and / or connections to other equipment would load the ebus+ with capacity to ground which would affect the shape of the data waveform and may lead to data corruption.

Opto isolation between the ebus interface ( bus powered ) and the slave's micro-processor ( local powered ) is the optimum design to remove resrictions on what modules can be connected to the ebus before data transmission become unreliable.
So what your saying is, it's not ideal- because it would be prone to data loss. But will work as it's low volatage?

@mrbg07546

No point in you PM ing me.

You have had appropriate answers from some of the best in the industry in this topic, yet you seem to ignore their advice because it is not what you want to hear.

I have nothing to add, other than ignore the non qualified google warriors that try to sound clever by bamboozling you with irrelevant crap on the subject.

Stick to the advice from the professionals, and, with no disrespect to any of them, I would listen to 831Bunny first.

Oh, and I'm sure Agile will fix it for £84 if you live on his bus route and after he has asked how to fix it in the gas members only forum!

Posts like this are the reason I no longer post in this forum!

So what your saying is, it's not ideal-

It will work over a short distance provided all the slave units are designed to work with reversed polarity. The Vaillant list of compatible thermostats, controllers etc etc will have taken that restriction into account

But will work as it's low volatage

It works because it has a sound communication protocol based on another industry standard communications protocol.( at least it should have )

other than ignore the non qualified google warriors that try to sound clever by bamboozling you with irrelevant crap on the subject.

Having spent several years designing comms systems and protocols I am probably more qualified than you on data communication techniques. The way the various modules communicate in a heating system is hardly irrelevant crap. ( it may be easier to dismiss it as crap than to make the effort to understand it )

The fact is that ebus was "developed" from the industry standard RS484 physical ( +/- 5 volts diffential ) to create a system of power and data over a single pair for low cost domestic heating systems that required power at locations other than the boiler. Thermostats and programmers that required a mains power supply would be difficult to sell due to the cost of installing the mains supply. So power over the data connection was a good idea and by making it work on just two wires in many cases the cable to the old thermostat could be re-used for the ebus wiring.

It is totally irrelevant crap in terms of everyday use and how to wire the bloody thing up in the first place.

Even if the installers haven't got a clue, which IF they exist, they haven't, then a fooking monkey should be able to RTFMI and wire by numbers.

That is ALL that is needed, not in depth crap from one who purports to be a communications software developer.

Anyway. I have already spent too much time in this god forsaken heathen area where truth is over ridden by googled crap.

You can all go back to arguing who is best between yourselves. I know, and that is all that matters to me.

Goodbye. xxx

There has been a lot of good advice here but it seems not much progress.
Maybe (as long as all the pipework is complete,boiler commissioned and ready to run) ask vaillant to send you an engineer to set up the system,they may have a list of local approved contractors it will cost you but its money well spent,once the job is done its done.

Dave you forgot to say the top engineer will be asking who did what, why it was not done the other way, if the installer was a nupty and wearing one red sock and other green with pink spots and had three holes in that sock measuring 2.1, 3 and 1.35mm, exactly 7.4mm apart. Also, if installer did not effect a repair then he should be paid.

You need to learn from the best young Dave. Squashing of gas pipes behind the soil pipes is acceptable, ECR meter is a must, epoxy resin and coins essential for repairing holes in radiators. And most of all, if you slip up, never admit you could be wrong.

There has been a lot of good advice here but it seems not much progress.
Maybe (as long as all the pipework is complete,boiler commissioned and ready to run) ask vaillant to send you an engineer to set up the system,they may have a list of local approved contractors it will cost you but its money well spent,once the job is done its done.
My boilerman is a approved vaillant advance lol

Ok. I spoke to vaillant advance. He said all you need to do is go through the d76 of menu to commission unistor.

It will work over a short distance provided all the slave units are designed to work with reversed polarity. The Vaillant list of compatible thermostats, controllers etc etc will have taken that restriction into account

It works because it has a sound communication protocol based on another industry standard communications protocol.( at least it should have )

Having spent several years designing comms systems and protocols I am probably more qualified than you on data communication techniques. The way the various modules communicate in a heating system is hardly irrelevant crap. ( it may be easier to dismiss it as crap than to make the effort to understand it )

The fact is that ebus was "developed" from the industry standard RS484 physical ( +/- 5 volts diffential ) to create a system of power and data over a single pair for low cost domestic heating systems that required power at locations other than the boiler. Thermostats and programmers that required a mains power supply would be difficult to sell due to the cost of installing the mains supply. So power over the data connection was a good idea and by making it work on just two wires in many cases the cable to the old thermostat could be re-used for the ebus wiring.
I switched poles. Mixed poles . It still works

Google warriors who have no real life hands on meaningful relevent experience.

This forum does make me laugh............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back