Plumbers & getting a quote/price

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how long does it take for a plumber to give a quote on a job that needs doing? assume it's a big job (new central heating system, boiler, cylinder + bathroom pipework). I've told them I'd accept either an hourly rate or a fixed job rate.

Reason I ask is that I've been waiting for between several days to over 2 weeks for one guy and still don't have even 1 quote!!! is this normal? I don't know of any other business where you have to wait for over a week to get a price on a job.. It's either instant quote or worst case next day. The more there's touchy-feeling pricing going on, the more I reckon there's a chance to get scr*wed over

any advice on how to speed things up?

Sponsored Links
Here's some tips on how to not get a quote:-

(1) Start the site visit by saying "I've checked out all the prices....."
(2) Offer to supply all the gear yourself
(3) Subtly, inform them that you are getting in 8 or 9 people to provide quotes
(4) Offer your opinion on how long the job will take
(5) Say that you would do it yourself but you just "don't have the time.."
(6) Ask them to take their shoes off before coming in
(7) As a closing remark, suggest that they "keep the price down"
(8) Don't bother to offer a cup of tea of coffee
(9) Mention in passing, the vast value of your impossible to replace carpet

Now how many of these attrocities are you guilty of?

I find the best way to get the quote is by doing all the leg work first.

First know which boiler/system you want, research the boiler, Potterton, Worchester etc and don't be vague about how much you want the plumber to do and what you are proposing to do yourself.

Make this into some legible list and ask each plumber to quote like for like, that way you will be able to compare quotations. There are so many variances for boilers etc. it makes it easier for the plumber to have a fair stab at quoting, if the client knows what he wants.

Sorry about teaching................to suck eggs.

If I visit a potential customer say on a Wednesday/Thursday evening, they will have a written, itemised quotation including a brochure on the boiler by the following Monday at the latest.

If as elite says they appear to be awkward or distrusting then chances are I would not take on the job even if they accepted my quote. I'm too busy to have to work for a 'customer from hell' :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
The amount of time it takes me to get a quote out directly relates to how busy i am.I have to work and do quotes evenings weekends so if im having a few long days i don't then sit down and then start a quote it will wait till the weekend or whatever.

I never price while there for anything of any size as i just don't find its worth the hassle ,no matter how many time the customer may say "just off the top of your head" or "roughly i wont hold you to it" if i say £2500 and it comes to £2700 when they receive there written quote its just leads to more hassle and them trying to get me to justify why its more.Used to do it not any more you want they quote they get it when its done,I much prefer a quote to actually reflect the job ,not just a vague idea and ill bill you for whatever i fancy at the end of the job.

Elite - helpful remarks.. seriously! ;)

I'm guilty of:

2 & 9 (ie getting the boiler + cylinder, and not offering a cup of tea)

I said I'd get the gear as I thought I could get it off ebay for cheap which I think is fair. I've got stuff of ebay for next to nothing at times so why should I be given a hard time simply because I'm trying to get a good deal?

The last plumber who came seemed the best and when I mentioned getting the stuff myself he was cool with that and finished off by saying "tell me the best quote you find as I might be able to match it". Well, I did & then said he'd match it which I'm fine with.

I really don't understand where the difficulty is in pricing. The work involved is generally quite standard especially when the plumber lives and works in the same area and knows the type of house very well.

Come on guys - do you really need 4/5 days to give a price??!?!!! and if so WHY and give me another skilled profession where you need so long to give a price to a customer

ginoT said:
and if so WHY and give me another skilled profession where you need so long to give a price to a customer

No one here has to justify anything to you and regarding buying materials off ebay... :LOL:

Rob - you know just saying "no one here has to justify anything to you" is the kind of secretive / unhelpful attitude which is a big part of the PR problem this business has. All I want to know is why it takes several days for a quote. Nothing more, nothing less. If it were my business I would make an effort to get a quote out in 24hours max

Regarding getting stuff off ebay I know it's risky. I've come away laughing (ie got great deals) and crying (with faulty goods and all the nightmare which follows) WHICH IS WHY I'M HAPPY THE PLUMBER I'VE TAKEN ON IS MATCHING THE BEST INTERNET PRICE I'VE FOUND

please, I have a simple question. I was HOPING for a simple answer - proving harder than I thought..

we are

mind you think the OP's plumber is a fool to fit a boiler supplied by a client

lets hope it doesnt breakdown during the warrantee as he wont come back and manufacturers will insist on the installer coming back

etc etc etc

BTW what if you plumber is busy and gets home late too tired to start a quote

Patience is a virtue

<<The last plumber who came seemed the best and when I mentioned getting the stuff myself he was cool with that and finished off by saying "tell me the best quote you find as I might be able to match it". Well, I did & then said he'd match it which I'm fine with.>>

And why do you suppose some quotes are cheaper than others?
Don't make the mistake of assuming it's because the dearer guys are trying it on.

Maybe the dearer quotes involve some 'unnecessary extras' which your cheaper quote won't include, like decent TRV's and new lockshields on all rads, proper cleansing of the existing system, fitting of roomstat and programmer ,removal of old deadleg pipework,cylinder/tank and waste from site after work completed, proper sizing of gas supply pipe and thorough commissioning of new (decent make) boiler.

Are you getting all of these things for your cheap price? Do you care?

Or are you making the mistake of nearly everybody in the market for a new boiler and falling for the cheapest quote.

It makes me laugh when the customer wants to 'supply all the gear'.
You can't supply everything that's going to be needed on the job- have you counted how many end feed fittings he's going to need, how much copper ? What about solder ,flux, wire wool,pipe clips, screws, sand and cement, plaster, bricks?
No you haven't. So who's paying for them? And if the installer's paying for them in his cheap quote then you're going to get a cheap job.
Except you probably won't realise 'cos you don't know enough about it.

All I want to know is why it takes several days for a quote. Nothing more, nothing less. If it were my business I would make an effort to get a quote out in 24hours max
Perhaps in your business you sit at a desk all day or have someone do that for you. If you deal with a one-man-band, he's likely to be out all day, answering calls, getting materials, sending invoices, chasing invoices and the rest.
It doesn't take 24 hours to do a quote, it probably takes 20 minutes. But if he's busy , your priority is going to be low, and he hasn't had 20 minutes at that level.

I just sat a day in Gas Training, and when I came out I had 12 calls to answer. I didn't answer them all, because after leaving the centre at 5 I had to do a couple of emergency calls and got home about 9, then I had something to eat and the phone was ringing again. To answer 12 calls reasonably well takes about an hour. You can't call people after about 10. Next day I was putting a boiler in. The guy in the flat above wants a quote. This one's £2000 I said. OK he said, when can you do it? Now, do I put his boiler in, or answer those phone calls?

One job I haven't quite finished, because the gas meter didn't work so I couldn't commission the appliance. They owe me £250, which is fine. They can't understand why I haven't "popped over", in the 2-3 weeks it's been since their gas supplier did the necessary. The reason is that it would take about 3 hours, including travelling. I haven't had 3 hours without scheduled work or emergencies in those 3 weeks.

People wonder why the likes of BG are so expensive - it's because people get a big company service, from all the non-producers in the organisation who have to be paid for.

I wish I could have put it like that :oops:

And don't forget the 2 hours on here answering posts for free either every night :LOL:

gas4you said:
I wish I could have put it like that :oops:

And don't forget the 2 hours on here answering posts for free either every night :LOL:

:LOL:

true we are a slave to this site

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back